Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike (s) in the back..how to secure?
I want to take one or two bikes in the back of my Multispace, trialed today; took out one seat and tried to secure bike to the floor loops and next seat with a bungee..it bobbled about a bit. The second bike was wedged in the remaining space and seemed to stay in place.  Has anyone got any top tips? I would rather not take wheels off.
(08-04-2016, 06:13 PM)SRB Wrote:  I want to take one or two bikes in the back of my Multispace, trialed today; took out one seat and tried to secure bike to the floor loops and next seat with a bungee..it bobbled about a bit. The second bike was wedged in the remaining space and seemed to stay in place.  Has anyone got any top tips? I would rather not take wheels off.

Turn the upside down, then strap them in.
Malcolm.
2001 1.9D Multispace.
Diagbox diagnostics in Northumberland.
(08-04-2016, 06:15 PM)malgpz900 Wrote:  
(08-04-2016, 06:13 PM)SRB Wrote:  I want to take one or two bikes in the back of my Multispace, trialed today; took out one seat and tried to secure bike to the floor loops and next seat with a bungee..it bobbled about a bit. The second bike was wedged in the remaining space and seemed to stay in place.  Has anyone got any top tips? I would rather not take wheels off.

Malcolm.

Ah, that's a good idea, will try soon.  Do you use bungees or something else Malcolm?

Julie
Won't the petrol spill out of them??
(08-04-2016, 07:17 PM)Col Wrote:  Won't the petrol spill out of them??

They are mountain bikes Col...extra power today came from eating fish and chips! Big Grin
(08-04-2016, 07:11 PM)SRB Wrote:  
(08-04-2016, 06:15 PM)malgpz900 Wrote:  

Malcolm.

Ah, that's a good idea, will try soon.  Do you use bungees or something else Malcolm?

Julie

Never tried it, but sounds like a good idea.
Malcolm.
2001 1.9D Multispace.
Diagbox diagnostics in Northumberland.
SRB

I only bought a XTR Multispace on the basis of carrying bikes inside with wheels on.
I now regularly carry bikes and have permanently taken out the nearside back seat.
Will post some photo's on Saturday.
Bit of a "Top Tip" i use one of these and some bungee's, bike or bikes are solid ;-)

[Image: 34nodb9.jpg]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenko-16875100-C...ction+hook
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Doodlebug for this post:
  • SRB
(08-04-2016, 07:22 PM)SRB Wrote:  
(08-04-2016, 07:17 PM)Col Wrote:  Won't the petrol spill out of them??

They are mountain bikes Col...extra power today came from eating fish and chips! Big Grin

I didn't really think they were motorbikes. You certainly wouldn't get 1 in let alone 2. As for fish & chips MMMmmm!!
How do you ride them upside down?

I think I will stick to my fishing gear. Sounds easier.
To carry a bike (pedal cycle type!) I usually roll it in upright, tucking the front wheel in by the passenger side door and running the bike across diagonally. Then run a 1" ratchet strap across, wrapping it a few times around the seatpost on the way, and tighten it to pull the bike down and forwards. Usually you can fold up just the passenger side back seat for this. Anchor the ratchet strap either on the loops in the floor or in the metal loops which the rear seats lock into halfway up the sides. Do it right and the bike is completely wedged and immobile...

Don't like using bungees for this - even when pulled tight they still let the bike move as you corner, brake etc...

But to be honest for short trips with the bike in the back and if I'm feeling lazy I just bung it in with no straps at all. It bumps around a bit but not really been a problem. Obviously check that no handlebar ends etc. can press on glass anywhere... and definitely strap it down for longer trips.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to shedpete for this post:
  • SRB