Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
[Brakes] Spongy brakes after service
First of all have to hold my hand up and state that did not take car 2009 1.6HDI Multispace 20,000..to Citroen dealer but instead to Halfords auto centre for MOT and interim service.
The car was found to have below limit discs and 2mm brake pads on the front so both were changed during service.Service plus MOT came to £309.
On collection brake pedal was found to be spongy whereas before it was very positive and had to be used with care as otherwise vehicle would stand on its nose.....now I can pump pedal up after pushing down (braking etc).....and brakes no where near as sharp....have had standing row with service manager but got nowhere.......he states it is as should be!!!!!
Have also noticed what can only be described as whooshing sound from passenger side when brake pedal used(Never heard before?)
Have car booked in with Citroen Monday for Halfords work to be checked......but wonder what Forum would have done or think??
It sounds to me like ther's air in the brake lines. They probably haven't bled the brakes correctly.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to stuartinlancashire for this post:
  • caskin, philip
Sound's like there a vacuum pipe off from the servo that whooshing sound is air
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • caskin
It may take a short while for the pads and discs to 'bed in' but I don't see how they would have got air in the pipes unless they loosened the bleed screws to retract the disc pads? If it was not like it before I would take it back.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Trevor for this post:
  • caskin, ron
Look under the bonnet with engine running get some one to press the brakes you may be able to find it
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • caskin
£309 for service/Mot & new front discs/pads? I suggest you also ask Halfords what make & grade of oil was used, is it on the invoice?
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • caskin, RolyG, ron
(15-02-2014, 04:03 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Sound's like there a vacuum pipe off from the servo that whooshing sound is air
Hi Thanks for all your replies, what I have done is to book car into Citroen and they have agreed to check all of Halfords work plus put brakes where they should be.Any problems found will be firmly dumped on Halfords head office door step!!

One other thing that is also bothering me is state of the oil? Normally I do my own all changes and filter,but this time Halfords did it.

I am certain that after doing it myself that when checking it,say about two days later to ensure levels are correct oil still appeared quite clean,but after driving just 2 miles getting home and checking ,the oil its BLACK!!!??

(15-02-2014, 05:16 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  £309 for service/Mot & new front discs/pads? I suggest you also ask Halfords what make & grade of oil was used, is it on the invoice?

Yes Castrol 5W-40 Castrol edge......but please see my comment's ref oil...but irrespective of pricing I just have that gut feeling that its a skimped and badly carried out service etc.....but as stated will see what Citroen have to say....thanks
Problem here is the Citroen garage won't really know what has been skimped without doing the service again. I presume all the brakes need is properly bleeding, maybe there is a Citroen procedure for this? There is also a procedure for completely draining the oil, did Halfords do that, for example? I guess that you will have to trust that they did or you will be paying for another service.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • caskin
(16-02-2014, 12:26 PM)Opensauce Wrote:  Problem here is the Citroen garage won't really know what has been skimped without doing the service again. I presume all the brakes need is properly bleeding, maybe there is a Citroen procedure for this? There is also a procedure for completely draining the oil, did Halfords do that, for example? I guess that you will have to trust that they did or you will be paying for another service.
Yes appreciate that,and from the attitude of Halfords plus fitter doubt very much if Citroen procedures were In any way followed.
OK Have learnt the lesson the hard way,and if it means another service to put my mind at rest so be it...but have appreciated all input from Forum
I think that you will find that it is very difficult to drain all of the oil from the sump using the drain plug as I have been told by a Cit independent that the drain plug is not at the lowest point. Even a small amount of old oil will very quickly turn the oil black. Also did you check that the oil was drained not sucked, and in accordance with latest Cit instructions? Turbo failures have bee reported following poor servicing regimes. How you checked what oil that they used, not easy if you were not there to witness it.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pmh for this post:
  • caskin