Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
Cold heater on idle
My heater is warm when driving. But when i run the var on idle the temperature drops to 80'c and after a little time down to 30'c .  And no heat in the airheater.
Coolant level is ok.
How do i bleed the wather system? 

Maby change wather pump. And thermostat if bleeding does not help.
Any ideas????
(28-12-2014, 05:33 PM)Tikki Wrote:  My heater is warm when driving. But when i run the var on idle the temperature drops to 80'c and after a little time down to 30'c .  And no heat in the airheater.
Coolant level is ok.
How do i bleed the wather system? 

Maby change wather pump. And thermostat if bleeding does not help.
Any ideas????

I would suspect the thermostat 1st.If the vehicle is old & not been well maintained,the impellor on the pump may be eroded due to cavitation & lack of coolant addiitive.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
2009 berlingo 112 000 km on the wheels. i have not changed anything on it yet. just filters and a steering link.
so maybe its time to change the weather pump and thermostat then.
As ron wrote thermostat or water pump cavitation . cavitation that's one i haven't heard for a long while but they don't let me out very often .
There coming to take me away The Men in White Coat's The Men in White Coat's There Coming to take me away HA HA HE HE HA HA
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(28-12-2014, 10:46 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  As ron wrote thermostat  or water pump  cavitation . cavitation that's one  i haven't heard for a long while but they don't let me out very often .
There coming to take me away The Men in White Coat's The Men in White Coat's There Coming to take me away HA HA HE HE HA HA

Glad to see you've recovered Jed.Happy new year.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Nice to see you ron a very happy new year to you

Just notice's ron you only have 1'378 post it should be 2'574 post if you contact Mike the mod he will put it right for you Happy Day's
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

I thought that impellors were all plastic these days ?
A mute point really as the timing belt is likely due anyway - an easy way to find out for future reference perhaps ( hint ).

I too would suggest the thermostat as the first port of call.

Happy new year to all .......
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Is this a non-AC model?

If so, then the thermostat is the most likely culprit.
On Non-AC models, the heater is just a small radiator on a parallell loop to the normal radiator.
(Hose connects to the thermostat housing or near it, but on the other side of the thermostat than the top radiator hose)
Water is always circulating through this secondary radiator, but because of small size and little 'heat loss' it doesn't impact engine temperature all that much.
Now, if the water is always circulating through the big radiator up front... even when the temperature drops below the point when the thermostat should close... then the temperature keeps dropping like nothing else...