Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DV6 intermittent non-start - UPDATED
I'm putting this out there in case it helps anyone.  I don't know yet if it has cured my problem, but it's something to check if you are having starting problems.

First a bit of background...........  We bought the car (1.6 HDi 75) 18 months ago, with very little history and 100k miles on.  One of the first things I noticed was the engine undertray was missing (and with them being like hen's teeth second-hand and over £100 new, I can understand why).  It looks like the car has been run without the undertray for some time, and I haven't bothered replacing it.

Anyway, on to the non-start issue.  Wor Lass told me a while ago that when she got in the car the starter wouldn't engage, but the second time she tried it was fine.  Of course, when I tried it it was fine as well.  She now tells me that it's happened a couple more times since, always first thing in the morning.  Earlier this week it wouldn't start again, but this time it wasn't intermittent, it was permanent.  When I tried it the day it happened, the solenoid wasn't clicking.  Today I've had time to actually attempt to replace the starter.  Looks like a PITA to do but I didn't get that far.  The first thing I did was confirm my suspicions of dead starter.  This time, when I tried to start the engine, the solenoid was clicking rapidly, but after a short delay.  My multimeter confirmed the battery had well over 12v.  When I went to remove the starter, I undid the cables and noticed the smaller one had loads of corrosion on both the cable terminal and the post on the solenoid.  I cleaned them both and smeared the terminal with copper grease.  After reassembling it, I turned the ignition and it started.   Big Grin

So, I don't know if running sans undertray has got anything to do with the corrosion on the terminal, but before anyone condemns their starter it's worth checking that the switch cable terminal and post on the solenoid have clean mating faces.  The terminal being aluminium and the post being brass might also encourage the formation of corrosion, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

If our intermittent non-start recurs - making this post a load of drivvel - I'll report back.

Stuart.
Not the owner, just the bloke who looks after it.

ALL the owner does is drive it and put fuel in. Rolleyes
Hi Stuart - good post and i hope its sorted your problem.

The undertrays do help with corrosion so you may be spot on.
Funnily enough my Berlingo occasionally fails to engage the starter first time in the morning.

The undertray has also gone missing. Due to the low mileage and fact the car has only really had oil and filter changes in its life and always at small garages I suspect ones of the mechanics over the years was too lazy to put it back on.
Silver Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte

(26-02-2016, 09:26 PM)StuBeeDoo Wrote:  If our intermittent non-start recurs - making this post a load of drivvel - I'll report back.
Well, that turned-out to not be the easy solution I'd hoped for.  Sad

I lost count of how many times the starter worked after I cleaned the terminal on Friday.  The car has been parked-up since then and this afternoon the starter wouldn't engage again.  I checked the battery and it has 12.6v.  Bump-started the car and drove it 6.5mls, parked-up and now the starter won't engage at all.  Sometimes the solenoid clicks, sometimes it doesn't.  Wor Lass will have to 'phone the garage tomorrow and get them to change the starter.

FURTHER UPDATE:-
I decided I CBA to change the starter myself laying on my back, so I booked the car into my friendly local garage.  The lad has just been on the 'phone and confirmed that it is the starter and not a wiring or ignition switch fault.  Should have the car back later today.

Cba means cbf ? Cannot be "insert fave word ,starting with letter of choice "
Love somebody who hates back time under cars !
Hope that's it!

Sent from my 3geesus using Tapatalk( it's ifail)
(04-03-2016, 11:35 AM)haulrs Wrote:  Cba means cbf ? Cannot be "insert fave word ,starting with letter of choice "
A = the part of your anatomy you sit on! Big Grin

(04-03-2016, 11:35 AM)haulrs Wrote:  Love somebody who hates back time under cars !
My arthritis tells me that I've done more than my fair share of "back time under cars" in this lifetime. Sad

Thumbs Up 
Glad its sorted stu
(04-03-2016, 04:48 PM)polar Wrote:  Glad its sorted stu
Yep, got the car back now. Bank account £180 lighter and Mr Garageman said what a pig of a job it was. £72-worth of labour, and he's welcome to it.

Pig of a job to change starter??.thought they was straight forward.??