Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
EGR? problem loss of power.
Hi all.
This is my first query since joining.
I have a 2.0HDI 2004 Berlingo.
Since buying it 5 months ago the power was OK and after some heavier throttle the Ecu LEARNED to give more torque.?
I was getting the dash fault light coming ON with a EGR fault and could reset it with a DTC reader/reset tool.
I disconnected the EGR solenoid vacuum (new price is £90) feed to the EGR valve and performance and mainly torque were much better.
While giving it a Run the power suddenly dropped off while stationary at a road junction and after pulling away the max revs are now around 3000 also there was a metallic opon/closing type noise from the EGR area with the vacuum pipe dis-connected, not sure here if it was the EGR valve making the noise?.
The EGR valve seems to open with a nice click noise by sucking on the vacuum feed to it and closes when to atmosphere.
The DTC reader/reset tool shows 3 faults are present but i can only see the EGR detail, is this the limits of the tool not been able to recognise all of the DTC's.
Question is what is causing this sudden loss of power, any help is appreciated.
2.0HDI 2004 Berlingo
Hi all
A bit more info on my current thread ( EGR? problem loss of power. ) posted 11 March 13.
Can anyone tell me if my car has a fuel tank immersed fuel pump as i have not been able to see fuel coming out of the feed to the engine mounted filter unit so assumed it used only suction. All of the bubbles quickly clear away from the inlet and outlet of the filter when the engine is running. Thought may be there is not enough high pressure injector pump inlet feed pressure as there are a couple of electrical connections to the injector pump.
Grateful for any help.
Bobrgv
The injector pump pulls fuel up through the filter etc by suction. If there was a leak on the outlet side of the filter it would draw air into the injector pump.
what are the other faults code
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • bobrgv
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
I was a little behind on my Haines reading as it was a bit vaige and a bit longhand on the fact that the Bosch pump needs an fuel tank pump and my injector pump has a suction on the inlet. You know how it is when you are looking everywhere for causes , see my 12 March new thread which is still open. There are no other DTC's for the origional posted fault.
The noise i originally mentioned from around the the EGR area just after the loss of power/max revs low and after another look, i think it may have come from the Wasetgate assy, there is a vacuum hose to it so will inspect further, any views Brodfather?.
Pump problem solved.
(12-03-2013, 02:38 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  The injector pump pulls fuel up through the filter etc by suction. If there was a leak on the outlet side of the filter it would draw air into the injector pump.

Hello Brod. Further to EGR? problem loss of power. Wed 13 March.Mk 2 2.0HDI.
Sorry about the repeat posting. I have removed the EGR valve and there is only a thin film of carbon inside and it follows my sucking to open and closes quickly when to atmosphere.
The turbo wastgate flap? returns on it's fairly stiff spring load after manually easing it across.
First i erase all DTC and Pending codes and the engine revs normally.
I get a "Exaust gas Recirculation Flow P0400" as a pending code (not a full DTC)and at this time the revs are about 2800 RPM maximum or at idle rpm.
Also the MAF reading is 1.68 to 7 at 2800 rpm..
And the FRP is 3756 to 5700 at 2800 RPM max.
Which sensor reports the EGR fault as i do not see any vacuum derived sensor relating to the EGR??.
Have tried removing the vacuum feed to the EGR valve and get the same result following erasing of ALL codes.
Any further Help is much appreciated.
Bobrgv
Do you have any leaks in the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve? I once had an EGR fault on a VW, turned out that it was the vacuum pipe that had rubbed through against the engine.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JohnM for this post:
  • bobrgv
(13-03-2013, 07:03 PM)JohnM Wrote:  Do you have any leaks in the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve? I once had an EGR fault on a VW, turned out that it was the vacuum pipe that had rubbed through against the engine.

Thanks Johnm
I will check out the Vacuum feed to the EGR valve tomorrow and as i said it occurs with or without the EGR Vac feed connected though i will try just about anything,
bobrgv
(12-03-2013, 02:38 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  The injector pump pulls fuel up through the filter etc by suction. If there was a leak on the outlet side of the filter it would draw air into the injector pump.

Thanks again Brodfather
Further to air leaks/bubbles at the filter assy outlet from my 2.0HDI 2004. So i have replaced the hose which uses the push-on fittings with plain nylon re-enforced tube and there are no Nill bubbles and tickover pressure is more constant. Think this is important?.
Can you help my query about the turbo wastegate vacuum actuator as i have looked in Haynes and cannot find out where the vac feed comes from as it is not from the vac pump which powers the EGR and brake servo.
Thank
Bob
Hi bobrgv,

Wastegate actuators usually depend on the vacuum in the inlet manifold.

Try this link and see if it helps you.

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/int...mation.htm
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • Rustscrat