Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy clutch pedal feel improvement on 1.9D
Information 
Hi, I thought i'd share something I discovered today (that's probably already widely known about tbh):

I'd been having problems with a stiff, jerky clutch pedal that wouldn't travel smoothly in either direction. The auto-adjuster on my bingo is shot but the cable travels smoothly and the clutch and assorted paraphernalia is in good condition.

I found that removing the helper spring from the clutch pedal has helped the smoothness of the pedal an unbelievable amount. The helper spring comprises two little bits of black plastic, covered in greasy shite, that slide along each other with a stiff spring that push the ends apart. Half attaches to the clutch pedal bracket and half attaches to the pedal itself.

To remove it, I just worked it off of the end of the peg on the pedal that it attaches to. Once the spring had stopped ricocheting around the interior and i'd retrieved it from the fusebox, the top piece of the spring assembly just pops off of the pedal mount.

The pedal is a little heavier without the spring, but not unmanageably so (and let's face it, 1.9D clutch pedals are pretty heavy anyway), but the movement is now smoother and feels far more natural. I can finally manage to pull away smoothly without either stalling or giving my passengers whiplash!

Just sharing my thought for the day, I hope this helps someone somewhere someday.  Wink
Strip thread and back off 1/4 turn.
2001 (Mk1) Multispace Forte 1.9D
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Tango91 for this post:
  • ron, whitebus
aha! thanks for that ill try it ... mine is either on or off,can be hard to find the biting point specially in the morning Smile
ok.ok its a partner  Tongue
Mines been " notchy " and very squeaky for years and the other day i gave the nylon bearing that takes the changer shaft down into the top of the gearbox a good dowsing with oil.wow what a difference that made ,no more squeak and no more bouncing away from traffic lights.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • whitebus
thanks!!! ill try that first before destroying it Smile
(24-08-2015, 07:40 AM)whitebus Wrote:  thanks!!! ill try that first before destroying it Smile

It is quite awkward to get the oil can under the lever to squirt the oil ,i initially used WD40 to see if it would make any difference which of course it did.  I really couldnt be bothered to strip off the lever to get at the shaft as its held on by a pin apparently and  looks a little difficult to get at.So my thinking was to get a oil can filled with " engine oil " and just have a good old squirt around as well as i could. It seemed to do the trick anyway.I was quite pleasantly surprised at the difference it made .I do hope it does the same for you. !
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bikergraham for this post:
  • whitebus
I've posted previously about this aspect .... place a dam made of plasticine around the shaft and fill the dam with oil. The action of using the clutch will send the oil down the shaft lubricating the plastic bushes. This way the bottom one gets some lube and this is the one that seizes up. Fill back up if required as time goes by.
Don't worry about clutch contamination as this is not possible with this procedure.

Even if the cable seems to be free moving it is still worth removing it and lubing. I use a dam of plasticine to hold some diesel ( with the cable hanging ) and then move the cable back and forth, the crap that comes out can be surprising. Once done send some oil down the cable.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • bikergraham, whitebus
(24-08-2015, 09:36 PM)geoff Wrote:  I've posted previously about this aspect .... place a dam made of plasticine around the shaft and fill the dam with oil. The action of using the clutch will send the oil down the shaft lubricating the plastic bushes. This way the bottom one gets some lube and this is the one that seizes up. Fill back up if required as time goes by.
Don't worry about clutch contamination as this is not possible with this procedure.

Even if the cable seems to be free moving it is still worth removing it and lubing. I use a dam of plasticine to hold some diesel ( with the cable hanging ) and then move the cable back and forth, the crap that comes out can be surprising. Once done send some oil down the cable.

Thanks Geoff.Great idea !
Thanks Geoff !!! a funnel is brilliant, will try that Big Grin