Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.56 Average
[Engine] Multipspce HDi 1.6 Fumes
Hi All,

I've recently bought a Multispace 1.6 Hdi and am delighted with the features and usefulness of the car.

The only problem I've encountered is a smell of oil burning - it isn't exhaust fumes - particulalrly from the rere of the car. These fumes are noticable in the interior too, but not as strong. There is no evidence of an oil leak nor of oil being burned in the engine.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta
exhaust fumes being drawn inside via back door seals
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post:
  • peecee2
(05-09-2012, 04:23 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  exhaust fumes being drawn inside via back door seals

Hmm.. I'm not so sure. It doesn't smell like exhaust fumes. Even if I walk around the car when it's parked (engine not running) I can still smell it.
Double-triple check it's not exhaust fumes, as that would be the most likely culprit. If you can get the car (rear at least) on axle stands and feel for any exhaust leaks with the engine running... don't burn your hand though!
Whilst you're down there check the heat shielding is all in place above the exhaust system, and see if there are any signs of fluids (eg brake fluid) leaking onto the hot exhaust and causing the fumes.

It can be tricky trying to pinpoint odd smells or rattles, often it seems like thay're from one area but they're actually in a different area.
Are you sure its not an oil leak or old oil on the exhaust pipe ,mine leaks and drips onto the exhaust and smells
Check you haven't picked up a bit of plastic on the exhaust,or wrapped round a driveshaft.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(05-09-2012, 08:01 PM)jimbo Wrote:  Are you sure its not an oil leak or old oil on the exhaust pipe ,mine leaks and drips onto the exhaust and smells

Thanks all for the feedback. Jimbo - I suspect you're right and it would explain why I can smell it even when the engine isn't running. The exhaust is still hot and the oil would continue to burn. But I can't locate for the life of me the source of the leak. Everything around the exhaust seems to be dry as a bone! Back to the dealer methinks.....
Could it be the heater matrix leaking anti freeze and anti freeze smells
not like oil or exhaust but similar. It doesnt take much
I've heard that from somebody else too. Is there any quick way of checking? I assume the anti-freeze would be leaking into the cabin/footwells?
(07-09-2012, 08:58 AM)peecee2 Wrote:  I've heard that from somebody else too. Is there any quick way of checking? I assume the anti-freeze would be leaking into the cabin/footwells?

It does nt take a lot of antifreeze/coolant to cause a smell.
There are posts about this problem in the forum somewhere but I cant seem to copy the address in this forum for them.
try this post from j90xxx

" plus if it was leaking coolant, you would smell this....it has a very distinct odour about it"

Try searching for coolant leaks