Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine runs hot
Hi, I have a Peugeot Partner 2003 1.9d. I have observed that over a while, the low speed fan kicks in at an ever increasing temperature. Currently it kicks in at 98-99 degrees whereas when I got it 7 years back, it was at 95 degs. I change coolant every 20k kms, radiator is new, fan is new.
Have you checked your thermostat ?
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
Thanks, thermostat is currently not installed, I removed it when housing started leaking last year but I intend to replace it soon. Could it be the cause? By the way what is the low speed fan temp threshold?
Its been a long time since I had a 1.9, I can't remember the details so I hope this is correct, when the thermostats on some cars open, they also restrict the flow to the 'short circuit' ensuring coolent flows to the radiator.

I would put in a new 'stat first to see if it makes a difference before tearing the engine apart.
(11-07-2016, 12:34 PM)Solent Wrote:  Its been a long time since I had a 1.9, I can't remember the details so I hope this is correct, when the thermostats on some cars open, they also restrict the flow to the 'short circuit' ensuring coolent flows to the radiator.

I would put in a new 'stat first to see if it makes a difference before tearing the engine apart.
Update: -
I haven't yet put in a new thermostat. I have grounded the car coz of too many issues that all came up at the same time. The car started exhibiting gasket failure issues - it started to leak coolant seriously after the thermostat housing broke. I took it to the mechanic and requested that he change the gasket and head bolts, which he did.
I had earlier read somewhere probably in this forum or probably another that the DW8 engine uses Torque To Yield (TTY) bolts which are no good for reuse once removed. Well, the head has been opened too many times before without replacing the bolts in between many successive gasket failures, in fact, some head bolts this last time were found loose. The results of changing the bolts are quite drastic as the engine sounds improved and the car feels like it has gained a few horses, maybe it appears to have had an effect on the compression. 
Now I'm waiting to be liquid enough to fix the leak on the gasket matrix joint, install thermostat and brake vacuum pump which broke and battery which died catastrophically. 
I am also intending to swap the standard fan switch with one that opens at 93 deg or so coz I don't want the engine to easily go into distress in case of any issue. Anyone who know whether this will have an adverse effect kindly let me know so I can put it into consideration.
Many Thanks,