Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
changing lock barrels
I bought my Berlingo a few weeks ago and when I bought it the lady said it had its ignition barrel changed due to the old one becoming faulty but the old one is in the glove box along with the door locks, the door locks have not been changed just the ignition.

I had a look at the new door locks including a new one for the petrol cap but I have 5 new barrels plus the new petrol cap and I have tried the ignition key in every one and they all work with it, are they hard to change over and why do you think I have 5 new barrels????

Probably have 5 because 6 would have been too many !!!!
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
I can only find 3 locks on the car so just asking what the other 2 are for
Three lock barrels to front doors and tailgate, only other things requiring key are ignition barrel and fuel filler cap but not sure if all the barrels are the same though.
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
Thought I was going daft trying to find where the other 2 were but it looks like I have 2 spare ones. Are they hard to change over
The ones in the front doors are easy, at least.

On my Mk. I, it was:
1. Remove plastic cap on door edge.
2. Use pliers to carefully pull out the locking plate that you can reach through the hole. DO NOT drop the plate inside the door!
3. Lock cylinder can now be moved, and the linkage unhooked.
4. Cylinder should now be loose and can be removed.

Installing the new one is a reverse of steps 1 - 4, with the possibility that you may need to replace the plastic cap with a new one(or use rubber glue) as the old may be brittle and the hooks holding it in place may have broken off during step 1.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post:
  • billy140572
Thanks Gadgetman that's all the locks changed apart from the boot but I will do that next weekend, it was a lot easier than I thought as I have a pair of long nose pliers that I can lock so I didn't lose the retaining clip and that made it a lot easier
update decided to do the lock in the boot today as it was such a nice day, had to remove the plastic trim on the inside and a polystyrene sheet that's glued over the whole on the inside of the door, there is only one nut to undo to get to the lock and remove it then I took a pin out that was holding the barrel in the lock assembly only to find it is totally different from the rest of the barrels.
so I decided to take one of my spares apart and just change the insides over and it was quite easy to do but a bit fiddly and that was it just had to refit everything back together and that's it all done, now I just have one key for all of the locks including petrol cap.

I was going to take photos of everything but I forgot but it is pretty straight forward to do and the worst bit was changing over the insides of the lock as you have to butcher the outside bit you can see on the outside of the doors to get the barrel out of the lock( spare one ) to fit it into the boot one
Top marks for a diy job well done save a few £ in the process Confusedalut:
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • billy140572