Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3 Average
HID lights
Hi all,
Thinking of fitting a HID headlight conversion kit , has anybody fitted one and is it worth it and any snags to watch for ?.
As it would be a H4 kit there are 3 different kits which cover main beam, HID on dip and halogen on main, or HID on both beams.
any suggestions?

I was following the posts about Xenon bulbs but are they the same as HID?
The bloke I work with a bit, has fitted them to his M49 van. I'm not especially sold; they are brighter but perhaps you need to get used to the light spread, as it seems different to an "ordinary" bulb like a Nightbreaker.
(04-01-2013, 12:08 PM)addo Wrote:  The bloke I work with a bit, has fitted them to his M49 van. I'm not especially sold; they are brighter but perhaps you need to get used to the light spread, as it seems different to an "ordinary" bulb like a Nightbreaker.

Plenty of People do as you suggest fit aftermarket HID Conversions to vehicles but i believe they are intended for off road use only and illegal, Unless fitted in a "Projector Headlamp" and headlight washers and a self levelling function fitted. But i could be wrong.Confusedtudy:
A vehicle equipped with HID lights MUST have a beam self-levelling device.
Will fail an MoT any other way.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Thanks for all the advice regards the HID conversion , I'll leave it as it is at the moment , try some of those nightbreakers instead,

Confusedalut:
(05-01-2013, 12:37 AM)OlJeffers Wrote:  A vehicle equipped with HID lights MUST have a beam self-levelling device.

Not entirely true, I'm afraid.

A vehicle with HID lamps which has self-levelling lamps and headlight washers fitted as standard MUST have these two facilities working correctly when presented for an MOT, and even this is still an advisory at this moment in time.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Sp...205-12.pdf

However there is nothing to say a vehicle which has HIDs is required to have either of those systems fitted in order to pass an MOT.

A vehicle may fail if the fitted HIDs alter the beam pattern in such a way as not to conform to the MOT requirements.
I had some on mine untill the ballasts started playing up, HID on both beams. I found the light output much better and didnt dazzle other drivers as I made sure the beam was set up properly. As said the legality is still a grey area!
'04 Peugeot Partner HDi LX. Lows, Leaks and Wellers. Now matt grey and dent free Smile

(13-02-2013, 05:59 PM)PeteA Wrote:  I had some on mine untill the ballasts started playing up, HID on both beams. I found the light output much better and didnt dazzle other drivers as I made sure the beam was set up properly. As said the legality is still a grey area!

HID's unless fitted in a "Projector Style Headlight" ( To which All OEM vehicles have and are intended for ) will always dazzle oncoming vehicles. ( When switched on )
(13-02-2013, 06:50 PM)Gollycrush Wrote:  
(13-02-2013, 05:59 PM)PeteA Wrote:  I had some on mine untill the ballasts started playing up, HID on both beams. I found the light output much better and didnt dazzle other drivers as I made sure the beam was set up properly. As said the legality is still a grey area!

HID's unless fitted in a "Projector Style Headlight" ( To which All OEM vehicles have and are intended for ) will always dazzle oncoming vehicles. ( When switched on )

No, they won't, it's entirely dependant on how the reflector throws light.

If you are able to adjust the headlight aim to conform to the required beam pattern criteria, HIDs will not dazzle any more than the halogen bulb would have.
(05-01-2013, 12:37 AM)OlJeffers Wrote:  A vehicle equipped with HID lights MUST have a beam self-levelling device.

+ Washers, Absolutely Correct Confusedalut:

(13-02-2013, 06:53 PM)FeuxLingo Wrote:  
(13-02-2013, 06:50 PM)Gollycrush Wrote:  

No, they won't, it's entirely dependant on how the reflector throws light.

Is there a reflector light Headlight when fitted with aftermarket HID's that doesnt alter the beam pattern? All OEM are Projectors