Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
Heater fan stuck on full power
I was driving to work this morning when all of a sudden the heater fan burst into life on full power. Turning the control knob alters it from the recycling internally/external air setting but doens't alter the speed from maximum and doesn't switch the fan off. The hot/cold and choice of vents controls are working. All other electrical circuits and controls appear to be fine.

Does anyone know what's gone wrong and how much it might be to fix? Is it serious and in need of urgent attention? Thanks :-)
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 HDi Desire 2005
Hi Pete, its not on any sort of Auto/ AC mode is it? Just thinking with other brands....such modes will give full blast until they reach their set temperature level

Sent via Mobile
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

No sadly, my car has nothing so advanced! I've had the car since new (8+ years and 125k miles!) and it's never done it before.
It's the resister pack that controls the blower. It's a common fault and those are the exact symptoms... Mine has gone twice since new.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tucker for this post:
  • petet66
We had exactly the same problem last Easter, we had the heater full on while on the way to Dorset and when we got there the blower speed would not turn down and remained on full blast, it wasn't a big problem at the time as it was quite cold over Easter. We kept putting off getting it sorted when one day my wife went shopping and when she got back in the car to come back it had righted itself and is still fine now. Sometimes I think it might be haunted.
(21-01-2014, 06:54 AM)Drew Wrote:  We had exactly the same problem last Easter, we had the heater full on while on the way to Dorset and when we got there the blower speed would not turn down and remained on full blast, it wasn't a big problem at the time as it was quite cold over Easter. We kept putting off getting it sorted when one day my wife went shopping and when she got back in the car to come back it had righted itself and is still fine now. Sometimes I think it might be haunted.
Ha! That's brilliant :-)
I had this problem once, came on full blast on a trip up the M3 but luckily with the right tools it's a quick fix. Remove the carpet in the passenger footwell, unscrew the fan, replace the resister pack (£16 on ebay) and then put it back together. Plenty of useful guides on here if you run a search.
Or repair your current one... costs about £3 & requires a soldiering iron.

The bits that fail are the 2 large transistors - buy 2 as its not worth finding out which has failed. CPC are the cheapest at the moment
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/mj2501/darlingt...tt=sc06889

Detailed instructions of what to do can be found on honest john - I'm about to fix mine for the 3rd time this eve & if I get time I'll write it up.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/i...tm?t=62707
Hi everyone sorry I've not been back for a bit. I still have the problem as I took it to my usual garage who said they'd recently fixed a similar problem with a Peugeot and it would be around £30 for the part. However they later rang me somehwat shocked to say they'd been told that you had to buy the whole control panel includeing the knobs etc and it was £170 for the part! I have used the garage for a long time so trust what they are telling me but it would seem they are being misled by their part supplier. I'd rather not get my soldering iron out if possible - how easy is it to replace the resistor pack?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berlin...470wt_1161

Is this what I need?
It depends on your model - AC or non AC

That one is the correct part for mine with the AC and it's an easy job to do. You just remove 3 screws under the passenger side footwell to drop the blower unit then 2 screws to remove the rester pack, put the new one on and put it back in place.

I'd rather pay this for the part though!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360825657777?s...1423.l2649

I'm afraid that garage don't know what they are doing in this regard as the resitor pack is nothing to do with the control nobs and changing those won't cure the problem!!
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to tucker for this post:
  • Chris Baker, petet66