Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 2.08 Average
Horn only works with ignition off?!?!
Hello Chronyx I posted a photograph of this some while back have a look here .... Second post from the top is the one you want.

.. http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...1#pid26651

Seeing as you are happy with removing the airbag then it will be a five minute job and probably take longer getting the tools out and putting them away than it will to do the job.

Geoff.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • chronyx
(12-03-2014, 01:38 PM)geoff Wrote:  Hello Chronyx I posted a photograph of this some while back have a look here .... Second post from the top is the one you want.

.. http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...1#pid26651

Seeing as you are happy with removing the airbag then it will be a five minute job and probably take longer getting the tools out and putting them away than it will to do the job.

Geoff.

geoff took longer to find small drill bit ,hardest thing is unclipping the airbag but once youve done it its easier the next time around
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to tommy1 for this post:
  • chronyx
Many thanks guys
2004 1.9D Multispace/Budget crew cab work van!
I was going to try the solution of fitting an earth wire around the steering column but having read that doing that "could" cause damage to the electrical system I didn't go for it. Instead I just tried a good spray of WD40 behind the steering wheel. So far my horn has worked everytime since including when it was MOT'd :-) I can only assume that in my case the earth wire contact was dirty rather than the connector being loose, but I don't know how the the contact connects to earth behind the steering wheel???

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Appreciate this is an old post, but thought it may be useful to post how I fixed the same problem with my van today, where the horn worked fine without the ignition off but didn't work with the engine running.

Removed the airbag, released the clip holding the black wire in the centre of the steering wheel, filed gently all around the hole where the black wire was located, filed gently the clip holding the black wire, sprayed a little WD40 into the black wire hole, then finally put the clip and back wire back in wedging in a small round piece of plastic in the hole to firm up the black wire clip in position.

Horn works fine now with the engine running, so I assume my problem was down to a bad connection or loose connection on the black wire clip.

Hope this may help someone.
(30-05-2021, 04:15 PM)AshleyP Wrote:  Appreciate this is an old post, but thought it may be useful to post how I fixed the same problem with my van today, where the horn worked fine without the ignition off but didn't work with the engine running.

Removed the airbag, released the clip holding the black wire in the centre of the steering wheel, filed gently all around the hole where the black wire was located, filed gently the clip holding the black wire, sprayed a little WD40 into the black wire hole, then finally put the clip and back wire back in wedging in a small round piece of plastic in the hole to firm up the black wire clip in position.

Horn works fine now with the engine running, so I assume my problem was down to a bad connection or loose connection on the black wire clip.

Hope this may help someone.

My poor old Berlingo (And it's dodgy horn wiring) is bean cans now but I did smile at the notification email!

Cheers!
2004 1.9D Multispace/Budget crew cab work van!