Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good thermal efficiency of our engines can be a downside !!
Mine is a 2005 2.0Ltr HDi

In this recent cold weather I have noted that when, either poodling around the country lanes, or parked up, engine running, the high thermal efficiency of the engine means that, if one puts the heater on, the engine temperature drops to well below normal!! Not all that handy when sitting around having a coffee or parked up messing about on the CB radio!!

Of course, when driving around under more "normal" conditions, the engine temp remains normal, but under low load situations, put the heater on high and the gauge drops very noticeably.

There is nowt wrong with my thermostat etc, so this is not a request for help, just an observation.
Regards to all,
John - (2005 2.0HDi with Modutop roof, mini camper).

Yep thats an oil burner for you!
Most cars in this country are massively overcooled. The same vehicles are sold to hot countries, so the cooling system is built so as not to overheat in what, to us, are blistering temperatures.

On every car I've had I have always blanked off a large section of the front grille. This has not only given me a better heater, but better fuel consumption also.

I blank the grille from behind it where it can't be seen, usually by fastening a shaped piece of stiff plastic to it (thank you Estate Agents!)
With thermal efficiency comes less heat generation, so modern engines need all the help they can get.

Gravity
Just out in interest . . .  On Saturday with the temp being around 1 to  2-  I did a short round trip maybe 5 miles stopping about three or four times on returning home and parking on the drive I heard  the cooling fan on and it remained on for a few minutes  but I can't remember hearing the fan before, even during the summer
(11-12-2017, 09:52 AM)iscom Wrote:  Just out in interest . . .  On Saturday with the temp being around 1 to  2-  I did a short round trip maybe 5 miles stopping about three or four times on returning home and parking on the drive I heard  the cooling fan on and it remained on for a few minutes  but I can't remember hearing the fan before, even during the summer

If you have a new new Berlingo it stays on to cool the turbo if short journeys at low speed are detected.

If its a older Berlingo it may indicate your cooling system has partially frozen and air locked.

Difficult to say - what did tempature gauge say?
The Fan will be on as Your DPF is crying out for a regen - assuming you have a newer vehicle. Your DPF has started its regen but not completed it - the fan will be cooling under bonnet temps created by the partial regen.

Mine occasionally does it despite doing 150 miles a day motorway driving
Previous Berlingo: 2015 1.6 L1850 90ps In Artic Steel inc Look Pack and Lighting Pack.

Previous Berlingo: K9 2018 Driver M 100ps in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack

Current Berlingo: 2021 K9 Driver M Pro 130ps EAT8 in Platinum Grey with Safety Pack
V
(11-12-2017, 10:01 AM)polar Wrote:  If you have a new new Berlingo it stays on to cool the turbo if short journeys at low speed are detected.

Bear in mind that in this instance, with minus ambient temperatures and a short journey of five miles, the turbo is lightly loaded and would not need much cooling.

As said, possibly the fan was on as part of a failed regen.

Gravity
(11-12-2017, 11:28 AM)Gravity Wrote:  V
(11-12-2017, 10:01 AM)polar Wrote:  If you have a new new Berlingo it stays on to cool the turbo if short journeys at low speed are detected.

Bear in mind that in this instance, with minus ambient temperatures and a short journey of five miles, the turbo is lightly loaded and would not need much cooling.

As said, possibly the fan was on as part of a failed regen.

Gravity

Yes i forgot about the regen possibility
I though in order for a regen to take place certain criteria had to be met, like engine temperature above a certain level and the vehicle travelling above a certain speed for a given time etc.... ?

My vehicle .... 2006 (m59) Berlingo Multispace Desire - 1.6 HDI 92 
(11-12-2017, 11:07 PM)jj9 Wrote:  I though in order for a regen to take place certain criteria had to be met, like engine temperature above a certain level and the vehicle travelling above a certain speed for a given time etc.... ?

For a regen to complete its cycle, what you say is correct - things have to get kinda very hot!
But normal engine temperatures can be in place when a regen cycle begins. The dpf state triggers the start, and that's when things begin getting mighty hot.

I lived on a very hot dry island for years, and when cats and dpf's began to be fitted to cars there were many grass fires due to motorists parking on dry grass verges. Warnings were broadcast telling motorists not to park on the grass.

That's progress for you.

Gravity