Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential New Owner Questions..
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to pick your brains if possible....

I am going to look at a berlingo this evening, its a 2008 with 300,000 (yes 300,000!!!) Miles on the clock!

The owner has said its had a replacement engine at some point (I will obviously ask for proof of this) but it has now got an injection problem.

I want to buy it as a little project over the next few months so I'm not fussed about the work. I just wanted to know if the injectors were a common problem? If so, are they an expensive fix?

They only want £400 for it

Thanks in advance,

Stu
At that kind of milage injectors could well be worn out although injector problems are not common on both 2.0hdi and 1.6hdi engines.

Do you know what engine it has?

I suspect the rear axle will also be well worn out by now along with front wishbone bushes.

It sound like it could well be a refurbishment project.

Did the owner say what mileage the new engine was fitted and if the injectors were original?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • whitebus
Hi Stu82, My 2010 1.6 HDi L2 LX has done 321,000 miles on same day courier work to date, and I will be passing the van on to my Nephew next week when I collect my new '15' reg L2 (with Look Pack). Mine is still on it's original Injectors, and wheel bearings all round. The only reason that I can see for the stated "replacement engine" being needed is that, the turbo may have disintegrated and siezed the engine at some time. This happened to me on an earlier MK3 1.6 HDi Berlingo, but was fixed under warranty. My van is still running sweetly, and will do 70 mph all day long. I had diesel fumes leaking from an injector seal about 30,000 miles ago, but I fixed that by torqueing the single retaining bolt on each injector to 20Nm. The book says 25Nm, but I was afraid of snapping a bolt! Things to watch out for:
New front disks are required roughly every 120,000 miles
New rear disks are required roughly every 200,000 miles
I had a new clutch fitted at 264,000 miles as a precautionary measure, even though it wasn't slipping.
I had a new cambelt, water pump, and auxiliary belt fitted every 125,000 miles
Van needed new front steering ball joints at 295,000 miles to get through MOT test.
Check that the van you are thinking of buying has a full service history, and has had oil changes every 12,500 miles. I change my fuel and air filters every 35,000 miles.
PM me if you have any more questions.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CourierJim for this post:
  • whitebus
I forgot to mention. Check the condition of the front McPherson strut springs. I had to replace both around the 300,000 mile mark. One snapped in half, and the othe had 4" of coil broken off it! It's a simple job for a competent home mechanic, but the springs will cost you £170 from Citroen.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CourierJim for this post:
  • whitebus
(06-03-2015, 09:17 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  Hi Stu82, My 2010 1.6 HDi L2 LX has done 321,000 miles on same day courier work to date, and I will be passing the van on to my Nephew next week when I collect my new '15' reg L2 (with Look Pack). Mine is still on it's original Injectors, and wheel bearings all round. The only reason that I can see for the stated "replacement engine" being needed is that, the turbo may have disintegrated and siezed the engine at some time. This happened to me on an earlier MK3 1.6 HDi Berlingo, but was fixed under warranty. My van is still running sweetly, and will do 70 mph all day long. I had diesel fumes leaking from an injector seal about 30,000 miles ago, but I fixed that by torqueing the single retaining bolt on each injector to 20Nm. The book says 25Nm, but I was afraid of snapping a bolt! Things to watch out for:
New front disks are required roughly every 120,000 miles
New rear disks are required roughly every 200,000 miles
I had a new clutch fitted at 264,000 miles as a precautionary measure, even though it wasn't slipping.
I had a new cambelt, water pump, and auxiliary belt fitted every 125,000 miles
Van needed new front steering ball joints at 295,000 miles to get through MOT test.
Check that the van you are thinking of buying has a full service history, and has had oil changes every 12,500 miles. I change my fuel and air filters every 35,000 miles.
PM me if you have any more questions.

Nice to see what needed doing and when etc,I'm doing the same work,put 78k on since i started in april,got 113k on it now,done oil/filters every 9k and just had to do the same as you with the injectors.
[Image: smokingdog-1.gif]

Berlingo First,75bhp 1.6hdi,58 plate....225k and counting.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ians_lingo for this post:
  • whitebus