Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Rear brakes issue, application/release uneven...
One of the many things wrong with my Berlingo, as pointed out on the m.o.t fail sheet is that the rear brake application and release is uneven, I'm gonna be under there hanging the new exhaust tomorrow so I figure i'll whip the wheels off and have a look at the brakes while I'm at it.

Being more familiar with bikes, I have no real knowlege of how these brakes operate I'm kinda just learning as I go along... Any pointers, tips or perhaps even a full blown explanation as to what could be causing the issue would be greatly appreciated!

P.s ...would it be a good idea to apply some kind of anti rust treatment to the exhaust before I put it on? anyone else done this?

Thanks Smile
The flexes block up with age, also the rears are hard to bleed due to the compensating valve.

Temporarily wire the compensating valve into the "fully loaded" position after renewal of the flex hoses, and bleed a good cupful of fluid through each side at the rear.

Don't forget to cut the temporary wiring loose afterwards.
The rear brake shoe h/brake lever sticks , causes sticking on rear brakes. Free them off and check the adjusters. There has been a lot of posts about sticky brakes.
Exhausts rust from the moisture passing through them from the combustion process faster than they do from outside influences. Most decent aftermarket are already aluminised so not really worth doing anything else to them.
So where does this bit go then ?
I drill an 1/8" hole in the lowest point of the tailbox to allow moisture to drain out.My C15 tailbox lasted to 180,000 miles.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • addo
ok so I got around to getting both the rear wheels off the ground yesterday, took them off and opened up the rear drums... not being fully sure what I was doing had both the pistons pop out the cylinder and managed to pierce the dust seal on one side too, In the process I managed to contaminate the nearside brake shoes and drum with brake fluid so, got some new brake shoes today and a new cylinder too... better get on with it.
Make sure you bleed heaps of fluid through the rears - I suggest half a cup or more, each side. The flex hose between trailing arm and chassis isn't conducive to letting the air out. If you have a proportioning (load sensing) valve to the rear brakes, this will need locking to the "fully loaded" position with baling wire while you bleed them. If you're having trouble getting enough pedal to start the bleed, try bleeding the fronts first, then do the rears, then fronts again.
do multispaces have a proportioning valve? I'd assumed it would be just the berlingo vans that had them...

I'd better have a look!
I have a proportioning valve on my 03 multispace.
I couldn't find anything that looked like a valve... brakes are all bled and seem to be ok... for now!