Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 2.76 Average
Road tax- am i in trouble here? :-S
(05-03-2012, 10:34 PM)ThoraB Wrote:  Hello everyone, thanks for all your help. The last time i went to DVLA office in Manchester was a few years ago, I was there hours & it was a nightmare.

This time, i had no problems at all. I was out & taxed in 30 minutes & the staff were lovely!

Then i found out that despite all these improvements, the government are trying to close the Manchester office down- typical!

Glad you are sorted now, just a pity that the tosser who sold you the vehicle was not a bit more forthright with you or au-fait with the system
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
(05-03-2012, 10:34 PM)ThoraB Wrote:  Hello everyone, thanks for all your help. The last time i went to DVLA office in Manchester was a few years ago, I was there hours & it was a nightmare.

This time, i had no problems at all. I was out & taxed in 30 minutes & the staff were lovely!

Then i found out that despite all these improvements, the government are trying to close the Manchester office down- typical!

Chatting to my dealer this morning telling her about transferring my number plate, and she mentioned that she had just returned from the local DVLC office having had to re tax a car from disabled to usual tax before selling it. She thought this was the responsibility of the garage selling the car!

Never mind at least you seem to have done it with minor hassle.

Our local office at Sidcup is also closing at the end of the year.

Our local office closed years ago in previous 'cut backs'.
We have to travel to Chester, Shrewsbury or Derby.
I go to Shrewsbury (32 miles). It is fairly new and the staff are quite helpful.
But don't go at the beginning or end of the month, unless you have sandwiches and a flask! (And a good book....)Confusedtudy:
Yes you have to go to DVLA, you can change TO disabled at a post office but not from. There is no way that it's ok to drive around with a disabled tax disc on if you're not disabled :eek:. I felt really bad about that. I was worried that they would fine me because it had been a few weeks under the wrong classification. The thing is that it looks the same as any other tax disc but in tiny letters it says "disabled'. The DVLA staff realise this too, they said as much.
I do think the garage should mention it when selling a car, even if only to cover themselves. I had taken money with me to tax the Berlingo on the day I bought it. Garage said no need- it's taxed til the end of Feb. (Andy womble I agree: Tosser! Big Grin) I took him at his word & didn't scrutinise the disc. It also says the classification on the log book (if you actually look at the thing and don't put it in a drawer straight away...:S)

I did write a poem about my experience, i may post it!
2001 Silver Multispace 1.9D

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried!