Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow starter (diesel)
(14-01-2017, 12:41 PM)ricc Wrote:  been under the berlingo bonnet this morning .... dissregard the bit above about injector pipes in the way ... that was the boys pug 306.... on the berlingo its the intake manifold goes over the lot.... some funny hose clips to undo but not too bad .

Yeah, it confused me as I couldn't see any injector pipes in the way  Big Grin
The Haynes manual isn't at all clear about how the intake manifold is fitted, but I'll get stuck in when my new plugs arrive and get it jobbed...
New glow plugs here... time to get out in the frost and see if I can get the old ones out..
Have you started yet ?? worth getting the engine hot / warm first as the plugs should extract easier then.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post:
  • zedhead
Yeah, I ran it for five minutes or so before I started. And...

... it was surprisingly easy! I managed to work out how the air inlet manifold thing came off by referring to a Youtube video (the Haynes manual is useless in this respect), and each of the plugs came out with no worries whatsoever. New ones in with a dab of copper grease, all back together and time for a brew!
Well, the joy at easily swapping the glow plugs was short lived...
It seems to have made zero difference to the issue of cold starting. It still takes ages to get it to fire and tickover. Although it does appear that once it fires, it does run on all four.
our young un has been having problems with the 306 td which is basically the same engine.

had a look saturday,  no4 glow plug was open circuit so replaced that ,  even with one heater plug gone we wernt getting loads of smoke on a failed cold start, which points to a diesel problem ..  a few months ago the stop solenoid packed up needing rac to recover to the garage to get the anti tamper  shield cut off to replace the solenoid.  doing that the garage have bodged the last bit of wiring , theres a short wire from the solenoid back to a scotchlock on the loom ,bipassing the last six inches of origional wiring. this thing has a keypad imobiliser and intermitant starting issues,  which i suspect  to be lack of diesel ... the intercooler on top of the engine means you cant even see the injectors let alone crack a pipe open.   i rewired the solenoid to the ignition feed to the reverse light switch on the gearbox, same as on our berlingo.

we can now start ... this morning a good frost,  one lot of heat and it just cranked over , another two lots of heat and full throttle it burst to life instantly.
whether the intermittant refusal to start when warm is cured (by rewiring the stop solenoid) remains to be seen.

our berlingo (no turbo) will start on one lot of heat and a bit of throttle regardless of frost.
i had exactly as geoff says .

first thing in the morning , reluctant to start

rest of the day would start fine

inlet valves were ALL held open when cold.

Respaced it and it doesnt even hesitate to start - it often catches before the first turn after a single heat.

If i was having to put throttle into a car to get it to start regardless of the weather id be questioning the condition of the motor. the only car i ever got into that state had two split piston crowns
06 pug partner van dw8 106k miles 
04 citroen berlingo forte  dw8 125k miles 
15 Pug Partner tepee outdoor 
05 iveco daily LWB campervan
87 Land rover ninety pick up 
16 1.2 Pug 108 GTline
electric long tail cargo bike. 
Thanks Top Drive - I guess it is rather overdue a valve clearance check. It's never had one in the 100,000 miles I've had it! Ahem...
Oh, and on the cold days when it struggles to start, even the slightest touch of the throttle makes it worse!