Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Steering & Suspension] oil leaks - steering rack and driveshaft seal
number 1 - drive shaft seal. Am i right in thinking if i undo the drop link , undo the track rod end i should be able to pull the drive shaft out to change the seal ? - can you get a good shot at getting it back in without spackering it ?

number 2 - both my berlingos leak out of the steering racks somewhere...... i cant really see where. Ive tried cleaning it up and turning and it just seems to appear, although i suspect its the pinion main seal where the column enters the rack .  one is worse than the other and drips on my drive which currently looks more profitable to drill than the north sea.  Do they have a place they usually fail to leak ?

Can you get the rack out without dropping the wishbones and subframes - as thats not really a job i want to do on the floor. It certainly looks like you can - although ive been here before with an old car and i was about 15mm off of coming out Sad 

Is it worth while trying to rebuild my spare unknown rack with a seal kit(my day job is design and refurb of hydraulic oil field tools so i know a bit about seal surfaces and elastomer seals) and throw that in - refurb the other and then replace the second rack. or do i just go for 2 refurbs from the likes of remy - obviously at significant cost. circa 300 quid each less 200 for exchange. 

cheers guys. 
looking harder - is it possible for the offside drive shaft seal to spray gear oil back onto the steering rack ?

only i dont seem to be loosing any steering fluid on either but im still leaking drips onto the drive on one (and a piece of wood reveals it to be more gold than red) , and the other is just "wet oily" round the rack pinnion and rod end boot.

So i extend my question to - has anyone done the drive side drive shaft on the floor.
Hi Top Drive ,
                   Nobody else seems to know or responded so I'll have a go .

No1 =   don't think so , you'll have to free the bottom wishbone joint. and yes it can be put back no bother ?

No2 =  I don't know about a common leaking point on the steering rack.  You will know if it is hydraulic oil or not . I'd suspect the drive shaft seal if not . Gearbox oil and hydraulic oil are completely different.

No3 + 4 =don't know never tried

Second post .  Yes it is . and I've done a drive shaft on the floor, but it was the nearside.
looking at it this morning and doing the "guess that fluid" game(a common thing with 2 old french cars and 2 even older land rovers on the drive) ... i reckon its hydralic fluid - bummed. its got the "dry" feel to it.
Did the old wood test tonight.....that is throw a piece of wood under the car where it leaks...instead of letting it get on the concrete where it becomes a black blob....

Its red for sure. 

Closer inspection reveals it might be coming from under the feed/exit hoses clamp....possibly orings. 

Will drain it and investigate soon , after i fix the drive shaft and mot the other blingo. 

Will watch my levels and just keep her topped up, doesnt seem to lose much and only seems to happen after being parked up for a while.
Drive shaft seal done.

Rear bulb done.

Tracking done , headlight aim done and all fluids topped off, not long had a full service , drop links and track rod ends.

Full once over for play in bushes this morning and all bulbs checked.m

Now lets see if the garage trys to pull the wool over the mrs eyes.....new area / garage and im flying to australia on monday for work so cant drop it my self
Well the berlingo passed first time with just a bulb needing changed.

First time ive used this garage as im fair new to the aea and i know all the bulbs were good before it went in but im not arguing over a bulb, fella also said it was a solid little motor given its again (54 plate 95k) and should keep trucking for a good few years yet

Keeps the mrs motoring while im away and when i get back ill throw a new rack under it my self.