Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toll/Péages
Hello all!

I have a small doubt that just came to my mind, and was wondering if any of you all is able to answer with certainty: What toll class is the Berlingo/Partner in France if you carry a roof top box that extends the overall height of the vehicle to 2.5m? Anyone has driven in France in such conditions? From the Autoroutes website the class definition is based on height...more than 2m and it is class 2...And this is the same in my country (Portugal), but there, the toll will be charged not considering the extra height of the roof top box.

Cheers.

Luis
No, you're OK. Roof loads don't count (otherwise most cars with bikes on the roof would also be in trouble)

BUT be careful with the automated lanes. Once or twice I've been automatically charged as class 2 before I realised what was going on...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nicebiscuit for this post:
  • ron
(17-12-2015, 02:00 PM)nicebiscuit Wrote:  No, you're OK.   Roof loads don't count (otherwise most cars with bikes on the roof would also be in trouble)

BUT be careful with the automated lanes.  Once or twice I've been automatically charged as class 2 before I realised what was going on...

Thank you for the information.

Cheers.

Luis
So would the roof rails fitted to XTR models be classed as part of the vehicle as they add around 50mm to the height.
Often wondered myself about the class of my Multispace when on autoroutes through France as it's borderline between class 1 and class 2.
Thanks
Even with roof rails it goes well under 2mtres so you are ok. The books says it's 186cm, but with load it will be less than that.
The biggest issue with roof load on a Berlingo is car parks... Oh and some of the underpasses in Rouen. THAT was very nearly an expensive mistake... :-D
(26-12-2015, 09:39 PM)nicebiscuit Wrote:  The biggest issue with roof load on a Berlingo is car parks...  Oh and some of the underpasses in Rouen.  THAT was very nearly an expensive mistake...  :-D

I think you are OK with height over 2.m with roofbox.  Sanef who run the autoroutes around Calais refer to it specifically on their tarif list, see the top right pictogram.    You can't use the express lane over 2m however it is made up.  The difference between class 1 and intermediate is about 50%, so an extra 7 EUR Paris to Reims for instance.  Annoying perhaps, cost of 2 decent coffees,  but not enough to spoil your day.  I recall many years ago different autoroute companies applied the rules differently, you might want to check their websites.  Sanef tariffs here:

http://www.sanef.com/var/sanef/storage/p...50901_.pdf

Sticking with the height question 

Does anyone happen to know if the XTR (which I believe has a higher ride height and roof bars) is OK on a Eurotunnel standard vehicle booking?  That says 1.85m max, but I suspect the Berlingo might be just under it if it has people and luggage inside.

I'm thinking of getting one as a replacement for a 17 year old Synergie (surprisingly only 1.71 m high) - I don't need 7 seats any more but do need to carry big awkward loads sometimes.
Richard

When things appear to be going well, you have overlooked something.
Hello Richard C the XTR is 1. 93 mts    /or 6 feet 4 ins in old money un loaded with roof bar's  Sad
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Jed Clampit for this post:
  • Richard_C
(26-12-2015, 11:59 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Hello Richard C the XTR is 1. 93 mts    /or 6 feet 4 ins in old money un loaded with roof bar's  Sad

Thanks, nice definitive answer, Marshalls Citroen in Cambridge who has one on the forecourt suggested I measure it!  

Oh dear, will need to check the up and over garage doors, the entrance slopes a bit.  Might have to abandon the whole idea.  Must be able to fit it in the garage to get the other 2 Citroens in the drive.  I will get round to an introductions post soon.
Richard

When things appear to be going well, you have overlooked something.
So in the end, even measuring 2.5m I was charged class 1 all the way between Saarland and Irun. It´s abouth the vehicle´s heigt, the addons don´t count.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Luis Rosa for this post:
  • ron