Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Transmission] jumps out in third gear..
Hello All, 

You've given me great advice in the past which has been much appreciated.

We have a 2005 2.0 HDi multispace which has recently had the clutch replaced..

Since the clutch has been replaced it doesn't go into 3rd gear properly.

You can put it into third and drive OK for a while. Then when you put the clutch down to change up to 4th it jumps out of 3rd into neutral..

It also jumps out when in 3rd and going up a hill when you take your foot of the power when going around a corner and then put your foot down again...

The garage say they think the fault is in the gearbox, but it never did this before the clutch was replaced...

Any ideas on what might be the problem are gratefully received.

Sasha
If it's only since the clutch change then it looks like a reassemby problem.Is the linkage fouling?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
What Ron says ^^

Be careful driving it if the linkage is not adjusted correctly as 3rd is a weak point for some reason on the boxes and if its not going into into 3rd correctly it may cause some damage.
(15-01-2017, 06:18 PM)polar Wrote:  What Ron says ^^

Be careful driving it if the linkage is not adjusted correctly as 3rd is a weak point for some reason on the boxes and if its not going into into 3rd correctly it may cause some damage.

OK  thanks for this... we are getting it looked at next weekend... shall I tell the missus to avoid third gear until it is sorted out?

thanks

sasha
Right so it looks like the first thing to do is check the linkage.... I have a friend who is a mechanic who can look at it next weekend.

What might the linkage be fouling on?

thanks

sasha
(15-01-2017, 07:27 PM)kostello Wrote:  
(15-01-2017, 06:18 PM)polar Wrote:  What Ron says ^^

OK  thanks for this... we are getting it looked at next weekend... shall I tell the missus to avoid third gear until it is sorted out?

thanks

sasha

Well its wont do 4th any good or the clutch if you do just best not to use it really - is suspect linkage is still your problem.
My wife has tended to drive off in second and then change into fourth for more years than I care to remember and fingers crossed there have been no issues - yet - apart from cross words !!

Mind you she also then stays in fourth gear ( avoids fifth even on the motorway ) and then treats the gearbox as an auto box by not changing down - subsequent shuddering and a refusal of the engine to pick up revs being the obvious outcome along with even harsher words ( from her ) like Bl**dy car ............

I think a short term avoidance of third gear won't do any lasting harm.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(15-01-2017, 10:41 PM)geoff Wrote:  My wife has tended to drive off in second and then change into fourth for more years than I care to remember and fingers crossed there have been no issues - yet  - apart from cross words !!

Mind you she also then stays in fourth gear ( avoids fifth even on the motorway ) and then treats the gearbox as an auto box by not changing down - subsequent shuddering and a refusal of the engine to pick up revs being the obvious outcome along with even harsher words ( from her ) like Bl**dy car ............

I think a short term avoidance of third gear won't do any lasting harm.

Thats funny geoff  Big Grin