Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
White Smoke
Morning All,

Driving into work this morning (Very cold and humid outside) I notice that a cloud of white smoke appeared from the exhaust whilst I was sat still and revved the engine. This happened when the vehicle was cold but also happened when I was nearer work (45min later) and it was hot (90'c on the temp gauge)

It is a 2008 Berlingo Panel Van with a 1.4 Petrol. It also has an aftermarket LPG conversion on if that makes a difference.

Any help as to what the cause is, is much appreciated.

I'm hoping that it is just steam from condensation in the exhaust/cold temps etc...but I suspect head gasket may be a cause.
New Pope being announced ???? :whistle::whistle::whistle:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • labeline, Mike
...after a Pole and a German, a pope from Brum!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CandR for this post:
  • andy-womble
Every gallon of petrol or LPG you burn produces water, it's the hydro part in hydrocarbon and it accumulates in the exhaust then evaporates when you rev the engine. If you look at the exhaust when starting from cold you will see water droplets coming out in great quantities. It's nothing to do with your head gasket it's just basic chemistry. Check the oil and the water and if you are worried get the coolant tested at a garage for oil or fuel contamination but if you are not having overheating or pressurising the header tank problems you should just keep an eye on it and don't worry.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • Dingbat46
(20-02-2013, 12:53 PM)CandR Wrote:  ...after a Pole and a German, a pope from Brum!

I've heard that Ozzy Ozbourne and Lemmy have submitted CV's for the position....Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme:
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
(20-02-2013, 12:54 PM)ffrenchie Wrote:  Every gallon of petrol or LPG you burn produces water, it's the hydro part in hydrocarbon and it accumulates in the exhaust then evaporates when you rev the engine.
So could it be just that this phenomenon is more visible in cold weather?
It is more obvious in cold weather as the cloud of moisture hangs around for longer.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • CandR, Dingbat46
Thanks for the support guys, I will feedback and let you know if it dissapears. The sun is shining now so it may be a little warmer outside.

Why do some cars do it more than others though, no-one else seemed to have this issue in the queue of traffic outside of work?
(20-02-2013, 01:57 PM)Dingbat46 Wrote:  Thanks for the support guys, I will feedback and let you know if it dissapears. The sun is shining now so it may be a little warmer outside.

Why do some cars do it more than others though, no-one else seemed to have this issue in the queue of traffic outside of work?

I would think that has to do with the design of individual exhaust systems and their ability to retain moisture.
If the 'smoke', which is actually steam, disappears after the engine has warmed up then it's unlikely to be a failed head gasket.:thumbsup:
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(20-02-2013, 03:30 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  I would think that has to do with the design of individual exhaust systems and their ability to retain moisture.
If the 'smoke', which is actually steam, disappears after the engine has warmed up then it's unlikely to be a failed head gasket.:thumbsup:

This doesn't dissapear when the engine has warmed up. After a 45 min journey I can still rev the engine when stationary and produce a cloud of steam. I do have a slightly leaky radiator which is getting replaced soon but the vehicle is only using 100ml of coolant every 300miles (noticeable leak on radiator) But there is no evidence of cross contamination with the oil and it doesn't overheat. It obviously warms up when stationary but the fan kicks in to cool it down. So I am reluctant to say it is head gasket just yet.....