Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
cooling liquid leak
Hello
Seems like i have a leak from behind the radiator on my Berlingo
(Citroen Berlingo 1,4i Multispace Petrol 2005mod)
I just had the Timing belt and waterpump change at the dealer.
The liquid is green (like neo green)
Can this have been something they did, or must i just jump into it, and remove the radiator to find the leak.

Suggestions?
Wrong liquid? The type they put in was Glaceol RX Type D Anti Frost.
Is it easy to remove the radiator to locate the leak?
I have some common tools in the garage, as i do work on motorcycle engines.
But car... dunno Wink
Seems easy.. of with the tubes, and some wires, and some screws.
Would be happy is someone had some suggestions.
BTW: where is the radiator bleed screw on this model?
My Car INFO:
CITROËN BERLINGO (MF) 1.4 i (MFKFX, MFKFW)
2005 Mod
Volum: 1360 KW: 55 HK: 75 Fuel: Gasoline
Removing the radiator isn't all that difficult, but... it means completely draining and later refilling the system.

Do you have the approximate location of the leak?
(Behind the radiator is pretty vague)

Possible places that can cause leaks are:
Waterpump bolts not completely tightened.
Rotten Hoses.
Not properly tightened bleed screws. (one on top of radiator, top of thermostat housing, on the heater/AC)
Drain plug low down on radiator not properly closed.
(On the same end as the top radiator hose. )

To check the waterpump bolts, remove the top plastic cover over the cambelt and verify that it's completely dry...

For the others, start up the engine and take a peek.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post:
  • Varg
Hi there

Seems like it is leaking "under" the raditor, but still the small "pan" is filling up. I do not see any leak bear sight as for now.
It was dry around the waterpump
Cannot see any wet spot around the top of the radiator
But here is a picture:
[Image: 20130721_232250.jpg]
My Car INFO:
2005 Mod
It doesn't look like it from the photo but you don't have aircon do you? The leak tracer they put in that is bright green.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
(22-07-2013, 12:33 PM)crickleymal Wrote:  It doesn't look like it from the photo but you don't have aircon do you? The leak tracer they put in that is bright green.

Hi there

I have AC in my car.
And the 1 liter can of anti-freeze they gave me as an extra after the service was Bright green.
Says: Renault Boutique, Glaceol RX Type D
Just so strange theleak happended right after the service.
Seems like the radiator is broken. Think i will order a new one.
Do i need to flush the system totally, even when it was flushed at the dealers shop 2 weeks ago?
Think i only drove 300 km after the service
My Car INFO:
2005 Mod
Is it from the bottom hose 'O' ring, there is a right and wrong way round to fit it.
No you don't need to completely flush it if all you're doing is replacing the radiator.
Get a couple of clamps for thee hoses and you can remove it without spilling more than what's in the radiator.

But I would recommend that you start the engine and let it work itself up to temperature and see if you can spot the leak 'in action' before replacing it.

Normally if there's a leak in the radiator, it's pretty easy to see as the pressure will turn the radiator into a 'modern art' reepresentation of 'manneken pis'...
It might be a bad clamp on the hose, seepage past the bleed screw or something else fixable.
  • Varg
(22-07-2013, 04:19 PM)Dave Weller Wrote:  Is it from the bottom hose 'O' ring, there is a right and wrong way round to fit it.

Hi Dave,
For it seems like the leak is coming further up from the hose, as the liquid is filing up the small narrow tray just under the radiator
Took a new picture:
[Image: 20130721_232340_222.jpg]

(22-07-2013, 04:25 PM)Gadgetman Wrote:  No you don't need to completely flush it if all you're doing is replacing the radiator.
Get a couple of clamps for thee hoses and you can remove it without spilling more than what's in the radiator.

But I would recommend that you start the engine and let it work itself up to temperature and see if you can spot the leak 'in action' before replacing it.

Normally if there's a leak in the radiator, it's pretty easy to see as the pressure will turn the radiator into a 'modern art' reepresentation of 'manneken pis'...
It might be a bad clamp on the hose, seepage past the bleed screw or something else fixable.

Thanks gadgetman,
Good to hear i dont have to flush the whole system.
I will sure go over it again before i go on and order tomorrow
I will return here if i see any new

Right now i worked up the car to about 70c, No leak! That is wierd.
Today i asked my wife that used the car the last time if she did something, and she said she filled up 1 liter of this cooling liquid "Renault Boutique, Glaceol RX Type D" the last time she was out 'cus the car was missing liquid she said. Then we found out she poor it all in, unmixed (she said it was far below MINIMUM mark, and the car almost reached 100c, so she stopped and measured by eye, and pored on 1 litre pure... hmfrr. :brickwall:

Now, can it somehow poor out what it did not need itself? :eek:

I'll guess total amount that was leaked was about half a decilitre of that bright green cooling liquid (after she got home), so i pored on about 5 decilitre of clean water now, since she pored on 1 litre pure.
Still no leak. Car has a working temp on about 70c, so i should somehow see it right?
---------
EDIT: It is leaking, now from the left side of the bottom hose, (after a test ride on 4 km) but how the fluid was running from behind the radiator yesterday, and filled up the narrow tray is a mystery.
So i will change the radiator, and the O rings, and look over hoses. before putting all back together.
bah.. not work that i like, but will give it a try Smile
I'll get back when that is done
My Car INFO:
2005 Mod
On my 1.4i (Mk. I) there's a thin plastic tube attached to the reservoir, just below the filler cap.
If the pressure increases too much, liquid will force it way past the bottom of the cap(it's spring loaded) and disappear down the tube.

On my car that seems to end up 'somewhere' inside the front assembly, where it slowly drips out from later...

Overfilling the system can cause a lot of strange behavior...

I would have tried the o-rings first, before getting a new radiator.

The hose clamps looks something like this:
http://biltema.no/ProductImages/19/large/19-000_l.jpg

Of course, you can bodge something yourself and get just as good results. ;-)
  • Varg
I asked, and she said she did not overfilled it. it was below minimum when she filled it, and got it up to minimum (with a hot engine)
When i took the testdrive today, it was exactly on minimum (after poring some clean water into it) .. when i came back it was dripping from it, and approx 1 and half centimetre below minimum.
I will see tomorrow if i can make a clamp and take it off, and check the tube on the bottom of the radiator.
So the cap i saw beside the bottom tube is a filler cap and spring loaded.. then i learned some new stuff today Big Grin
i'll get back again Smile Thanks
My Car INFO:
2005 Mod