Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Electrical Issue Dashboard, Indicators Radio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Driving home yesterday in the dark, suddenly the dashboard lights started to flicker and the radio stopped working. Initially I could use the indicators but then they stopped working. Then Dashboard lights would go out completely and then come on for a few seconds and then ceased to work at all.
Current situation is that Dashboard lights, Indicators, Radio are non functioning but the dashboard warning lights, driving lights and engine (ignition) work perfectly.
Does not sound like a fuse because of the way it developed but does anyone know of any wiring harnesses that might be chafing or maybe where wires get loose on Berlingos. This is a 1.8 petrol circa 2001.
Before indicators stopped working, (but while dashboard was coming on and going off), they made a purring noise. It was as if the full whack of electricity was not getting to them.
Otherwise car runs perfectly.
Just remembered something else odd recently. One in 50 drives, if I turn the engine off but leave headlights on, they wont switch off. by using stalk control. Cure is to turn ignition off and on without starting engine.
Do I perhaps have a general Control unit (BSI?) issue? Clutching at straws I know.
This may be a fluke, but a few years back the dealer loaned me a Berlingo same as yours whilst mine was in and it had the same faults as you describe, including the heater fan not working. However, I found that if you really revved it through the gears, everything started to work again until you turned the engine off. Yes, I know this sounds daft, but it's true. Don't know what difference the hard driving made, but it worked. However, as I only had the car for an afternoon, it wasn't a problem, although I did tell the dealer when I took it back.
Sounds like a poor connection in the BSI.
Or alternator regulator brushes going noisy and spiking the supply.