Berlingo Forum

Full Version: rear door stiff..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone..

I have had my van for 60k miles now and I look after it. Recently though no amount of lube will free up the hinges on the back doors. Is this a common problem ? I am assuming the only fix is to replace the hinges ??
Hi , yes its a common problem if you don't regularly lubricate the hinges. They get all the muck and water off the road spray.

Plenty of wd40 type stuff,  leave them to soak overnight and then swing the doors back and forward a lot and it will eventually free the hinges off. Try it with the opening restrictor off.

Do it gently at first so as not to strain the hinge mounting on the door frames.  You could try some heat (quicker) but it will burn the paintwork
Hiya broadfather11.
What you suggest is what I have been doing and the door has been lovely up 'till now but the last couple of weeks no amount of lube seems to free off the hinges.. I have noticed some rust coming out when I plaster the hinge with penetrating oil but within a day or two the door is stiff again. I am worried the hinge is not recoverable
Try "3-In-1 plus PTFE" oil
Just an update.... I have been spraying WD Everytime I open the doors and after 3 weeks of 12-15 openings a day the hinges are freeing off.. lets hope they free off before they break off..
Wouldn't grease be better?
Once its freed off you'll need some lubricant that will stay in the hinge, I came across a can of graphite spray , it will stay in the hinge where wd40 will run out after freeing off the tightness. Or as ddb says try oil with ptfe in it.
Now they're free use motorcycle chain lube.It penetrates before it sets as a grease.
Thanks for your help. I will stick to chain lube I think..
(25-04-2015, 08:50 PM)ron Wrote: [ -> ]Now they're free use motorcycle chain lube.It penetrates before it sets as a grease.

Good call, haven't used that for over 10 years but it is really good on things like this.