Berlingo Forum

Full Version: 05 1.9 - Engine Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 2005 Berlingo owned form new and on 153k miles has finally developed a possible major fault. It's a 1.9 IDI engine type WJY (DW8B)

A year or so ago it suffered rough starting which my indy could not diagnose. Eventually, although they tested OK, the heater plugs were replaced and problem appeared to be solved - never completely sure though. Problem has re-emerged in last month or so.  Engine's also begun to sound off definitely beat when cold although seems OK once it's run for 20-30 secs. Not noticeably down on power/up on fuel use nor losing oil or coolant either. 

Investigation reveals low compression in nos. 1 and 2 cylinders. Interim diagnosis is that head gasket has 'gone' creating a leak between those two cylinders that probably closes up at least in part when head warms up. 

According to my garage's workshop time software CHG replacement on this car is a major job due lack of space in engine bay. FWIW though Haynes says that while that's true of HDi version the 1.9's head CAN be removed with engine in situ. They're same block with different heads and fuel system. 

Garage advice is that cost of lifting engine, stripping etc together with risk that head itself will require testing and may be damaged, make an exchange engine considerably cheaper than a full repair. Cost from £900 up either way. WBAC values vehicle at £500. 

Other suggested diagnosis (another forum) involves valve clearances. Is this likely and worth getting these checked.

So questions are:

(1) Any experience of head removal on this engine?
(2) If I stick with it do I go for repair or exchange motor?
(3) Take £500 and run..... 
Have the valve clearances ever been done in 153000 miles as they could have closed up causing your lack of compression.
(16-05-2015, 11:37 AM)Tomcat3 Wrote: [ -> ]Have the valve clearances ever been done in 153000 miles as they could have closed up causing your lack of compression.

Not to best of my knowledge no. How difficult to check? 
Can sum on help me plz I have 56 plate berlingo 2.0 hdi I wos driving at about 25 mph when I heard this noise so pull up had a look and fan belt had snapped but van wos still running so drove it home as I got in my street the man cut out so next day got it pulled to a garage we're got new belt starter motor and battery put on the as never started since any advice chears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its not hard to check the clearances it takes about an hour. You are looking for a gap of
Inlet 0.15mm
Exhaust 0.30mm
+/- 0.07
Its if they need adjusting you need to remove the camshaft to get at the shims underneath. So its a good time to do the cam belt at the same time as it needs to be disturbed.
The engine doesn't need to come out there is enough room to get at everything required.
Has the other member's have said valve's are must to check first before you do any thing else