Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Coolant renewal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all

I'm servicing my van myself and I'm having trouble locating the cooling system bleed screws. In the Haynes manual it says:

4 To assist draining, open the cooling system bleed screws. These are located In the heater matrix outlet hose union (to improve access, it
may be located in an extension hose), on the engine compartment bulkhead and, on 2.0 litre engines, on the top of the thermostat housing.

As it's a 1.9 engine, I can ignore the thermostat housing one and I've managed to find the one on the engine compartment bulkhead... can anyone tell me where the other one is?

[Image: bleedscrews.jpg]
It emptys fairly well anyway. I wouldn't worry. Just leave it drain for 20 mins. Fill up happy days
Thanks, corkgsxr... I was just trying to go by the book, excuse the pun Big Grin

Do I still have to make a header tank to refill?
Header tank? Iv never had to do anything but fill up leave it tickover and give the hoses a few squeezes to help the air out.

What does it say about making a header tank?
22 Some of the cooling system hoses are positioned at a higher level than the top of the radiator expansion tank. It is therefore
necessary to use a 'header tank' when refilling the cooling system to reduce the possibility of air being trapped in the system. Although Peugeot/Citroen dealers use a special header tank, the same effect can be achieved by using a suitable bottle, with a seal between the bottle and the expansion tank.

[Image: headertank.jpg]
Surprised at Haynes suggesting hints, normally they reccomend sending the vehicle to a main dealer for naything more technical than fitting a fuse or wiper blade
(21-08-2011, 07:15 PM)Bryan Wrote: [ -> ]These are located in the heater matrix outlet hose union (to improve access, it may be located in an extension hose), on the engine compartment bulkhead...

After more hunting in the engine compartment and reading this again, I've come to the conclusion that the bleed screw I found is the only one on the 1.9 DW version. It's on the heater matrix outlet hose union AND on the engine compartment bulkhead.

Sigh :S
Hi
I have the same set up as you and have only the one bleed. I have had no problems with coolant changes and the header tank idea is a bit OTT as far as I'm concerned. Confusedalut:
I have the same engine and could only find the one bleed valve as well, I had no problems changing the coolant either
Whilst mine is the HDi, it is essentially the same with the position of the expansion bottle.

I've never used a header tank. Just filled it, with the bleed screws open until it leaks from there solidly, and as CORKGSXR says leave it running for ten minutes or so. Squeezing the hoses helps move any air out and just top up the expansion tank if you need to. No bother at all.
Pages: 1 2