Berlingo Forum

Full Version: More Power Please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi to all you Learned & Wise members out there. Cannot find a specific thread regarding this: I have a 2nd GEN (B9) L1H1 1.6i 8v Petrol (the TU5JP) engine - long story but Diesel wasn't an option when i bought Sad
So my question is about getting from 66KW (88HP) that i have, to the max i can with the B3 gearbox & standard fuel injection etc. While i could 'chip' it, i would prefer other options first? My reasoning being that I drive long distances around KZN here in South Africa, and can benefit from a few extra KW (HP). I am not looking to drag race or anything Blush , just to improve the current set-up for more torque & power   Cool I am looking at a tuned exhaust system, purely as my current one will need replacement soon. I am an avid tinkerer and would appreciate all & any ideas or solutions any others may have tried or researched  Big Grin
An exhaust on it's own won't do much. Chipping is the best all around power mod (cost/results etc )

Other than that, you are into cams/injectors/pistons/cylinder head etc, but beyond vey mild tuning, you will need to upgrade the ecu anyway.
(03-09-2015, 05:19 PM)Col Wrote: [ -> ]An exhaust on it's own won't do much. Chipping is the best all around power mod (cost/results etc )

Other than that, you are into cams/injectors/pistons/cylinder head etc, but beyond vey mild tuning, you will need to upgrade the ecu anyway.

Thanks Col, sounds like the KISS principal (keep it simple stupid) Wink applies to me  Big Grin I am just concerned by the quality & limited options available for 'chipping' here in South Africa though (especially in Durban where i reside). Every one i have contacted regarding 'chipping' seems to be a young Bloke operating from his Mom's garage  Dodgy and most of them don't have great track records & never last more than a few months before vanishing Exclamation Huh  I'll have to look into a reputable national franchise or 'tuning house' then. Don't suppose i could just purchase an ECU off a wrecked 206GTi and plug that in hey?? Big Grin Wink Exclamation
No you can't just change the ECU. It;s coded to the BSI and ign key. What about contacting someone like http://www.emeraldm3d.com/ and see if they can help with an ECU that is plug and play?
You could maybe fit a better induction system? Probably won't have a massive effect, though.
(10-09-2015, 01:03 PM)davehills Wrote: [ -> ]You could maybe fit a better induction system? Probably won't have a massive effect, though.

No you're right. Any mods need to be done as part of an overall package.

To increase performance you need to be able to burn more fuel *efficiently*
The Peugeot/Citroen std induction is designed with the best balance of supplying enough air, but keeping the induction noise down.
You often find an induction kit will increase fuel consumption with virtually no increase in BHP.
If you fit performance cams, and exhaust then yes, the std induction might start to limit things
After these mods you will probably find the injectors need to be changed as the std ones won't keep up with the new performance mods and so on. Hence "overall package"