Berlingo Forum

Full Version: final drive noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all. Hope one or more can help me. any help welcome. 
I have a berlingo 600d van 2001. It has been great for the 4 years I have had it. Recently it developed a running noise. sounded like it was coming from the front n/s wheel. Sounded like i was running over a rumble strip or something was grating on my tire but much louder than that.. Then it went as soon as it came. It comes back when it feels like it. It still sounds when clutch dipped. or if its out of gear or even if my engine is off. thought it may be a wheel bearing altho I have had experience of that b4 and usually the sound changes when cornering but the sound is the same when i corner. It also does not matter if i am braking or not. sound is altered with speed but not revs. I think it may be something to do with gear box but not sure. please help. Thanks. Dan
Jack it up on a good trolly jack or better still place it on a stand and run the wheel up you should be able to hear a wheel bearing. Remember because one wheel is still on the ground if the speedo says the wheel is doing 30 mph is actually closer to 60 due to the diff being locked up.
Is the bearing that supports the driveshaft between the g/box and wheel OK ?
(18-12-2015, 02:03 PM)brodfather11 Wrote: [ -> ]Is the bearing that supports the driveshaft between the g/box and wheel OK ?

Think it is this as problem. bearing is within gear box though. probably easier to change the box than bearings??
^^^ No this bearing is external to the gearbox it supports the longer driveshaft, take another look.
That support is on the O/S driveshaft.
(20-12-2015, 05:45 PM)geoff Wrote: [ -> ]^^^ No this bearing is external to the gearbox it supports the longer driveshaft, take another look.

will do thanks for that.
(20-12-2015, 09:09 PM)Col Wrote: [ -> ]That support is on the O/S driveshaft.

ok thanks. will take a look.