Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Body roll: Mk 1 vs Mk 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We've now had our current Berlingo, a 2007 HDi 92 Desire, for about 8 months and 8,000 miles. And there is something that is puzzling me. Both I and my wife are pretty sure that body roll is more pronounced than in our previous Berlingo - a Mk 1 2002 1.6 petrol model - which we had for almost 9 years.

Why?

Is it:

a) our imagination
b) body roll is worse on Mk 2 Berlingos compared to Mk 1
c) body roll is worse on diesel Berlingos compared to petrol
d) body roll is worse on cars with a modutop
e) a peculiarity that afflicts this particular vehicle.

I am indeed puzzled. Confusedcratch:

I might add that some years ago, some friends of mine got a brand new Mk 2 Berlingo, with an HDi engine. They really didn't like it - felt that it was unstable on the road - which, I suppose, probably means body roll. I was surprised at the time, but with hindsight, I wonder if they are experiencing what we are now feeling.

Logic would suggest that a modutop would put more weight on the roof so the car would tend to roll more. Just looking at the car might tell you that it would tend to roll more than some other cars tho.
nah,mine dont roll at all in fact it stays perfectly upright, and tries to go in a straight line if pushed too hard in corners.04 with modutop
(13-09-2011, 12:57 PM)Northman Wrote: [ -> ]We've now had our current Berlingo, a 2007 HDi 92 Desire, for about 8 months and 8,000 miles. And there is something that is puzzling me. Both I and my wife are pretty sure that body roll is more pronounced than in our previous Berlingo - a Mk 1 2002 1.6 petrol model - which we had for almost 9 years.

Try to install shock absorbers by Sachs.
Quote:Try to install shock absorbers by Sachs.

Thanks for that practical tip, pk7478. Are Sachs shock absorbers really better?

A quick google took me here.

I know nothing at all about the mechanical side of cars - but notice that they only offer rear shock absorbers for my vehicle. I take it that Berlingos only have shock absorbers for the rear wheels.

Not cheap either - £140 per pair!
May be they are not bettter than made by PSA. But Sachs's absorbers are harder then original.
Using this, car excludes body roll, but you can say goodbye to smoothness of suspension Smile

Are you from Sverige?
Quote:But Sachs's absorbers are harder then original.
Using this, car excludes body roll,

Interesting.

Quote:but you can say goodbye to smoothness of suspension

I suspected that there might be a price to pay. Not an easy choice.

Quote:Are you from Sverige?

No.
'Kay, I got a question!
Using the link supplied by Northman there are four different Sachs shock absorbers suitable for my '06 1.6 diesel. Only one appears to made by Sachs....but they all have the spec and the same operational parameters. Is the difference between them one of performance or quality?

[attachment=285]