Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Grating gears (into reverse)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My new to me 2013 30k Berlingo often grates the gears when going into reverse, as if you don't have the clutch pedal fully down. If I take it real slow it doesn't grate. Is this typical for the breed?

Cheers!
Mine's same year but more miles - I've not had that problem. I'd be taking it in if it did.
I was hoping people would post up 'they're all like that' Sad
Hi ebbo, if its only crunching in reverse it would suggest that you have a slight clutch drag. I would check clutch operation i think yours will be hydraulic so you may have a slave or master cylinder fault?

If its a 2013 reg you may still have a warranty with Citroen as you usually get 3 years 2 with Citroen and the extra year with the dealer network.
I would suggest bleeding the hydraulic system
(14-03-2016, 09:16 PM)ron Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest bleeding the hydraulic system

Had this with an old focus I had,I found puting into 3rd first helped,seems to slow the gears down in the gear box..let it idle for a few seconds the try it..if your parked up and need to reverse put it into reverse before you start it..
Thanks guys. What I find is if I take it slow (like the wife does) it slips into reverse no problem. I wonder, Is the gear oil seperate from the engine oil? Maybe a change of gear oil would help?

Other than this I really love the new Berlingo. It's much quieter and smother running than the old 2ltr, and it looks really smart too!
The gear oil is seperate from the engine oil the gear oil is thicker than the engine oil .
(16-03-2016, 08:16 PM)ebbo Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks guys. What I find is if I take it slow (like the wife does) it slips into reverse no problem. I wonder, Is the gear oil seperate from the engine oil? Maybe a change of gear oil would help?

Other than this I really love the new Berlingo. It's much quieter and smother running than the old 2ltr, and it looks really smart too!
I would change the trans oil using a good brand synthetic.I do mine @20,000m
Don't think changing gear oil will make any difference ,like you said your wife takes it easy and it goes in OK.?  reverse that is. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2