Berlingo Forum

Full Version: 1.4 TU3 Crank Seal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The oil leak that I suspected was the head gasket has got worse and turns out it was the crank seal!

Seems about right as it started doing it on the cars first long run in years down to Cornwall with previous owner.

I suspect due to the tiny mileages it did up till then (21k from April 2007 till Nov 2014) the seal has shrunk. I don't think many of its journeys were more than a mile or two till then.

I suspect my 24k a year has finished it off!

Anybody done this job?
Yes I have.
Yeah not too bad, presuming you mean the cambelt end not the rear main behind the flywheel, about 2 hrs job give or take, 3-4 if you've never done it before probably worth getting a garage to do it as its cambelt off
Did one last week at the gearbox end, turned out it was a loose gallery plug & not the actual seal, must've vibrated loose and was actually pooring oil out.
(10-08-2016, 06:45 PM)dumdum Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah not too bad, presuming you mean the cambelt end not the rear main behind the flywheel, about 2 hrs job give or take, 3-4 if you've never done it before probably worth getting a garage to do it as its cambelt off

No it's the gearbox end.

Suddenly got worse and is going through oil at a huge rate, so much so that the car is now parked up.
(10-08-2016, 09:16 PM)Lighty Wrote: [ -> ]Did one last week at the gearbox end, turned out it was a loose gallery plug & not the actual seal, must've vibrated loose and was actually pooring oil out.

After a journey you can see it dripping from the gearbox/engine, bottom of the car is covered in oil.

Does that fit with Crank seal or loose gallery plug?

Haven't even got a Haynes for the Berlingo yet, joys of a low miles car that never went outside Southwark for the first 8 years.

I was surprised how the leak progressed from a slight buildup of oil and occasional top up over 15k miles to the constant top ups required in the last week and a half.
Difficult to predict the exact cause, but if it's coming out at that rate, I would expect the gallery plug rather than the seal.
Thanks Mark.

How much would you charge to fix that?

With a clutch fitted at the same time?

You can message me if you don't want to publicise your prices.