Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Needs new head gasket.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, my Berlingo 1.9D has just been diagnosed by the RAC that it needs a new head gasket, is this a nightmare job.
Foolishly I let a friend borrow the van yesterday and had forgotten that the red coolant light had just come on as I returned from my last journey.
I know nothing about cars and as you can imagine the van is not worth bundles.
How much is this likely to cost? are there any other consequences?
If you have any thoughts it would be great to hear from you?
Thanks

If the coolant light was already on then there is a chance the damage had already been done. Did the 'stop' light not come on as well? Why did the coolant light come on? do you have leak ( check heater matrix) or forget to check the level? if you're lucky you may get away with a gasket but you'll want to check the head for warping or cracking. Keep your fingers crossed the block is not cracked!
Hi, no the stop light didn't come on? I hadn't checked the level since back in Oct, as hardly used the van in Nov / Dec, which seems stupid now.
Just had a quote from my local garage to change a head gasket £330 + materials, but he said he'd want to do tests on the engine before and try and work out why its not starting.