Berlingo Forum

Full Version: What engine oil
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hello all
What engine oil should i use in my 1.9 diesel 2005 berlingo and what gear box oil.
Thanks in advance
10/40 semi synthetic for the motor.BV 75/80(synthetic is best) for the gearbox.
I had a little trouble finding 75/80 gearbox oil, but Euro Car Parts do a Valvoline one that specifically mentions Peugeot/Citroen. :thumbsup:
From my C15 days (2005 1.9D) I can say absolutely go for synthetic.It had this from new but I was in the habit of doing oil and filter changes every 6 months.When I put mineral oil in once (approved Total oil on offer from Citroen dealer), it felt like no oil at all - noisier ,less power etc.
I flushed that out and only use it in my chainsaw now.
Returned to synth and hey presto power and quietness restored.
From what I remember from my days working in the automotive oil industry, an engine that has been using fully synthetic from new should ALWAYS be run on fully synthetic. If it has been running on mineral or semi synthetic, then fully synthetic should NOT be used.
Will do some homework to confirm or deny, but sure that is correct.Confusedtudy:
(24-03-2012, 10:39 PM)j90xxx Wrote: [ -> ]From what I remember from my days working in the automotive oil industry, an engine that has been using fully synthetic from new should ALWAYS be run on fully synthetic. If it has been running on mineral or semi synthetic, then fully synthetic should NOT be used.
Will do some homework to confirm or deny, but sure that is correct.Confusedtudy:

Probably right -I recall reading similar about the new (it was the early nineties)veg based engine oils-that was a DEFINATE no-no.
Thats probably why they never caught on.
I think things have moved on since then or the manufacturers would have lined themselves up for all sorts of warranty work without laying down the law first.
The owners manual on my C15 specified either type and made no point of cross contamination.
BTW-whats semi synthetic? -a mix of the two?

Ive just googled the issue and have skimmed though the rantings of countless internet experts, but Martin-are we talking about preparing Sebastian Loeb's C4 or glooping up a 1.9D tractorWink
Synthetic oil is manufactured or 'synthesised'.
And, yes, semi-synthetic (as the name suggests) is a blend of mineral (about 75%) and synthetic (about 25%).
Different base oil and additives (esthers, benzenes, etc) as well as anti-corrosion and anti-foaming agents in differing quanties go to make up the different grades and qualities.
I was involved in the manufacture (amongst other types) of ATF for Honda in Swindon (Civic and CRV), apart from 2 base oils it had 18 other ingredients including Sudan Red which is a food colouring.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgmMDtdJ7XM

At what point is he going to realise he should really be switching off the engine.
Wiping it clean wont stop it coming out....
(30-03-2012, 08:25 PM)evdama Wrote: [ -> ][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgmMDtdJ7XM[/url]

At what point is he going to realise he should really be switching off the engine.
Wiping it clean wont stop it coming out....

It will eventually stop Wink
Pages: 1 2