Berlingo Forum

Full Version: very loud on motorway
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I have a 2002 berlingo multispace. It has been driving ok and I generally only drive in the city. I just had to drive 300miles on the motorway and as soon as I drove over 50mph the car started making a really loud droning noise and the engine also sounds strange (it is so loud I can not hear the radio even when turned up). I have to drive it back in two days and I am wondering is this a near fatal problem or would it last until I get it to a mechanic.
I have also had new front winter tyres fitted and the suspension seems stiffer and im getting shaking in the steering wheel, the car has been really good before I drove from belfast to berlin and didnt have these problems.
Im a total car noob.

Thanks for any help !
I'd check tyre pressures - if they are way too high that can cause a stiff ride. Were the new tyres balanced on installation? If a weight fell off could cause shaking. Also, grab the tyres and shake back and forth with hands at 9 and 3. Also shake with hands at 12. If there is any slop then check wheel bolts for tightness or wheel bearings.
hi thanks, I will check for movement. The wheels were not balanced just fitted in a rush. Just concerned about suspension failure at 140kmh
so just checked tyre pressure and they are fine and there is no shake in wheels
They should have been balanced I would have thought, that is probably why your getting steering vibrations also the loud noise relates to wheel bearings this can be checked as 3rensho said by shaking the Tyre but it probably is best to get it checked just incase
Hi, I had the bearings sorted last year. The noise was different more of a whine, the sound I think is more of an engine sound, but as I said I am a noob when it comes to mechanics. I bought the car and drove it for a year with horrendous wheel bearing noise. After reading the reviews I thought that noise was normal for a Berlingo. lol. Well if you dont think its worrysome I will take your word for it and get it checked when I get back. I will post what ever the mechanic reports.

Thanks for the advice !
if you had bearings done already then it possibly not be them again, maybe its a pulley or something but i suppose its hard to diagnose without hearing the noise. Hope you get it sorted and if you do find out what it is please let us know.
So i bit the bullet and brought it to a garage. The front right bearing is broken. 190 euro to fix. Ouch.

It is wierd how different the sound is to the last broken bearings. Anyone know if it is common for berlingos to wear through bearings quicker than petrol? Oh and does anyone know how to secure the trim`? everytime I open the boot the plastic trim falls off. Apart from that I love the car, driving position is great for me.
Thanks for the help !
at least you got it sorted and it is safe now, i havent had a problem with bearings on mine but i dont know about anyone else, regarding boot panel i think it is held on by plastic clips maybe these need replacing.
(05-03-2012, 07:51 PM)BerlingoHDI Wrote: [ -> ]at least you got it sorted and it is safe now, i havent had a problem with bearings on mine but i dont know about anyone else, regarding boot panel i think it is held on by plastic clips maybe these need replacing.

Not had any problems with bearings over 113,000 miles on our aging Mk2 but following an incident last winter when a gent steamed straight up the back of my parked Berlingo early one morning doing around 30mph ( winter sun low but very bright got in his eyes) the back lift door was replaced along with the bumper and tow bar.

Yes, his was a total write off.

The firm who did the insurance job were very poor and one of things which became clear was they had no concern as to quality of workmanship. The refitted plastic inner boot panel only held on by will power which often failed. I have regularly been hit by this falling object which of course waits till the door is horizontal before starting its decent. It only ever falls off with somebody underneath. No signs of the mechanism for detecting target but you can guarantee a minimum 50 per cent hit rate.

Have tried replacing the trim connectors but due no doubt to the initial damage one or two connection sites were broken off and the remainder just weren't up to the job of defying gravity. Hot glue gun helped for a while but now after another winter the problem has returned.

I suspect the new door is incompatible with Halfrauds trim clips, fine to prevent sliding down but no good for holding up!
(05-03-2012, 08:19 PM)spiritdemon Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-03-2012, 07:51 PM)BerlingoHDI Wrote: [ -> ]at least you got it sorted and it is safe now, i havent had a problem with bearings on mine but i dont know about anyone else, regarding boot panel i think it is held on by plastic clips maybe these need replacing.

Not had any problems with bearings over 113,000 miles on our aging Mk2 but following an incident last winter when a gent steamed straight up the back of my parked Berlingo early one morning doing around 30mph ( winter sun low but very bright got in his eyes) the back lift door was replaced along with the bumper and tow bar.

Yes, his was a total write off.

The firm who did the insurance job were very poor and one of things which became clear was they had no concern as to quality of workmanship. The refitted plastic inner boot panel only held on by will power which often failed. I have regularly been hit by this falling object which of course waits till the door is horizontal before starting its decent. It only ever falls off with somebody underneath. No signs of the mechanism for detecting target but you can guarantee a minimum 50 per cent hit rate.

Have tried replacing the trim connectors but due no doubt to the initial damage one or twoC connection sites were broken off and the remainder just weren't up to the job of defying gravity. Hot glue gun helped for a while but now after another winter the problem has returned.

I suspect the new door is incompatible with Halfrauds trim clips, fine to prevent sliding down but no good for holding up!

Self tappers with black screw caps Smile

Pages: 1 2