Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Engine Swap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have a mk1 berlingo (i know this is mk2 forum btw please read on) its suffering some bad eletrical problems and the BSI caught on fire. I've been offered a 54 plate mk2 berlingo with a blown engine, my question is are there much difference between the two. i dont have the engine number for the mk2 yet but the mk1 van has a dw8 engine (I think) its a 2000 1.9D engine number DXCB4028404. I dont have the details of the mk2 just yet but really hope someone says "yes that'll fit no probs" bearing in mind cant change the ECU because the BSI caught on fire. that i think is my only problem.

Thanks All
ok so i got the rest of the info as follows for the mk2 van

Engine number: vxfr6061778
vin number: vf7gbwjyb94133663
How badly damaged is your original Bsi? is it a small area or a connection etc?
It might be repairable if you have another Bsi to rob bits from. :thumbsup:
(19-12-2012, 02:13 PM)Rustscrat Wrote: [ -> ]How badly damaged is your original Bsi? is it a small area or a connection etc?
It might be repairable if you have another Bsi to rob bits from. :thumbsup:

caught on fire and fried the computer side of the board where theres loads of small tracks, if it was the other side where the relays are it wouldnt be a problem.

just been doing some research and found the mk2 van is a dw8b engine and the engine i have to go in there is a dw8 engine, should it fit and run?
ok short of it. how difficult is it to put a dw8 engine into a van originally designed for a dw8b? can i just change the block or are there any other things i need to change?
The part No.'s of the head, block and camshaft match. The pump is slightly different.
I Suppose if you swap all the ancillary parts of the dw8b on to yours then it might be possible.
Someone else might be able to give you a definite answer.
If it's cheap and you are willing to take the risk, go for it.
Another option if you want is to send me your burnt out BSI and I'll see if I can do owt with it. You've nowt to loose apart from the postage.
Let us know how you get on.:thumbsup:
Good luck. Confusedalut:
(19-12-2012, 03:39 PM)daz3nt Wrote: [ -> ]ok short of it. how difficult is it to put a dw8 engine into a van originally designed for a dw8b? can i just change the block or are there any other things i need to change?

Your mk2 engine (DW8B) has the electronically controlled fuel pump, your old one going by the age will (?) have a mechanically controlled fuel pump.
Either swop pumps over on engines or swop all the electronics and electrical systems in the vehicle. If all the extra bits ,sensors etc, and housings on the mk2 engine were ok then I know what I would do.

Good Luck. :thumbsup: Confusedalut:
thanks both for that, regarding the old BSI, it's probably pointless even if i where to get that working i still got the headache of finding the original problem if there is one. In theory if i where to change just the bottom and head on the mk2 from my mk1 it would work right? the pump, downpipe, gearbox or drive shafts, inlet manifold, radiator, power steering pump, water pump, etc would bolt onto the engine from the mk1?
All done now ready for the MOT, fingers crossed
(23-02-2013, 04:04 PM)daz3nt Wrote: [ -> ]All done now ready for the MOT, fingers crossed

Nice one. :thumbsup: