Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Horn only works with ignition off?!?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone. I've used this forum before but I forgot my password and have lost the old email account for recovery so here I am under a new account.

Anyway, my 2003 1.9D Berlingo has developed an odd fault with the horn.

The horn works fine when the ignition is off, so the horn and switch mechanism are working.

When the ignition is on the horn doesn't work which is very strange, and obviously this is the only time you need the horn, when you're actually driving.

I have checked the horn fuse to be safe and it's fine. I then checked all the other fuses both under the dash and under the bonnet just to make sure it's not a symptom of another failed system.

The MOT is due in a couple of months and obviously I need to fix this problem by then.

Advice welcome. Many thanks.
Matt ive merged your accounts. Just drop me a mail here http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/contact.php with your new email address and ill update it against your account and send you a new password.
Thought my horn had packed up, but just tried it with no key in the ignition and it worked.

I think someone said the steering wheel lock pin was enough to make an earth connection and get the horn working.

What I don't know is if fixing/running a supplementary earth cable is a steering wheel/airbag removal job.
Hi Matt and Welcome.
I think your problem is BSI related and may clear with a BSI re-set.

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?co...ol_failure

and scroll down. If you don't have central locking you can skip that bit.
Look here ..http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=3633

I found a solution for the same issue and posted photos, it may help you.
Just an update, I know it's a year later but you can't rush these things

(Actually the horn magically fixed itself the week before the MOT last year and then packed up again)

Running a supplementary earth to the steering column did not work so I ended up taking the airbag off and giving everything underneath a spray with contact cleaner as I couldn't see much else to do. There isn't a horn switch as such, the airbag floats on springs and simply earths against the wheel itself to provide the horn connection.

Any way it works fine now, ignition on or off Big Grin
Ours is a bit picky about where you press but it works with the ignition on. I've never tried it with the key out so it looks like an experiment for next time I go out.
I had the exact same thing after repairing the comm 2000 on my van. A BSI reset solved it for me.
(10-03-2014, 03:01 PM)chronyx Wrote: [ -> ]Just an update, I know it's a year later but you can't rush these things

(Actually the horn magically fixed itself the week before the MOT last year and then packed up again)

Running a supplementary earth to the steering column did not work so I ended up taking the airbag off and giving everything underneath a spray with contact cleaner as I couldn't see much else to do. There isn't a horn switch as such, the airbag floats on springs and simply earths against the wheel itself to provide the horn connection.

Any way it works fine now, ignition on or off Big Grin

hi
probably wont last for long,i have had this horn fault many times and the only thing that worked for me was to take the airbag off and the black earth connection on the wheel pull it from its spade connection and get a drill and drill a tiny hole in the aluminium beside it and use a self tapping screw secure the earth black wire,done this many times and works a treat:lol:
That's really useful to know thanks Tommy, the airbag is fairly easy to get on and off. Don't suppose you've got a pic of your modification?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2