Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Help Choosing model please [ Newbie]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Exscuse the newbie question, We've got a rubbish Vw T4 91 1.9 D , love the space but its on its way out. We need seats for 5 [ previously 6 but one leaving home ] and looking at something a little bit smaller , newer and easier to drive/park....Thinking mark2 would fit the bill , was looking at Doblos but they seem to have lots of faults and the reviews not too good.
W do approx 5k miles a year, mostly around town but occasional motorway for camping trips .
The diesels get great reviews but would the 1.6 Petrol do the job ? MPG is lower but buying cheaper, maintenence lower etc. Is the 1.6 any good for our purpose or should we go for a Diesel engine ? Bit of a minefield Trying to choose on a budget upto £2.500....Any opinions appreciated.Calum
I'd rate the 1.6 16V motor, have seen a few weird issues with their ECUs but on cars with gaps in their history. Probably fine if you stay on top of maintenance.

Assume as usual, any car for sale will soon need brakes, tyres, clutch or any combination of the above renewing...
I also rate the 1.6 engine and they are usually a little cheaper to but. If you looking at Mk2 Berlingo i would recommend the 2.0 Hdi as first choice with the budget you have. Have a look on autotrader etc you should pick a good one up for that money. Forte is the base model i believe with usual remote locking and electric windows, pas etc etc.

Desire models are more desirable with most of them having modutop/roof which has lots more storage space and cubby holes etc which would probably be ideal for you with camping trips, i think air con is also on this model.
I have a 2004 1.6 petrol from new and with the exception of 2 starter motors it's been faultless for 96,000 miles, although I have been running it on LPG for 50,000 of those miles.

I service it myself and change the oil and filter twice a year. That may be overkill but it's less than £20 and worth it for me to know it's always running clean oil.

It's a good reliable engine and for your level and type of driving, probably a wiser choice than a diesel model.
(06-03-2013, 10:32 AM)tucker Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 2004 1.6 petrol from new and with the exception of 2 starter motors it's been faultless for 96,000 miles, although I have been running it on LPG for 50,000 of those miles.

I service it myself and change the oil and filter twice a year. That may be overkill but it's less than £20 and worth it for me to know it's always running clean oil.

It's a good reliable engine and for your level and type of driving, probably a wiser choice than a diesel model.

Thanks for the replies , I'm edging towards petrol but pretty open TBH , Has anyone done a yearly price comparison ? MPG/Fuel Costs and service , I know its a lot of variables but it always does my head in trying to decide which engine works out best for us...Thanks calum
Here's another couple of happy 1.6 16v petrol owners. Ours is a 2002 mk1, but similar equipment etc. to the early mk2s. For a rather over-long eulogy with mpg and so on, see:
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=3658

We bought ours after a lot of research into 'what to look out for', largely on this forum.
Servicehistoryservicehistoryservicehistory; vertical rear wheels; make sure all warning lights work on dash prior to starting (they have been known to be disconnected to mask problems); check under carpets for signs of water... There's lots more info from the proper experts on the forum. Plus places like:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/used/...absection4, which you've probably already found!
Good luck.
(06-03-2013, 11:27 AM)calum Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-03-2013, 10:32 AM)tucker Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 2004 1.6 petrol from new and with the exception of 2 starter motors it's been faultless for 96,000 miles, although I have been running it on LPG for 50,000 of those miles.

Thanks for the replies , I'm edging towards petrol but pretty open TBH , Has anyone done a yearly price comparison ? MPG/Fuel Costs and service , I know its a lot of variables but it always does my head in trying to decide which engine works out best for us...Thanks calum

I think rather than be too concerned about cost comparisions, you should decide based on the sort of driving you will be doing. Low miles and mostly short journeys are not particularly great for more modern diesel engines and cause problems with the EGR, turbo and the like. Hence, your decision is probably best made on the type of driving, not cost as those are hard to quantify if your type of driving causes issues with turbo's and so on....
Wheres Muppet?
Where"s Muppet ?. Confusedcratch: