Berlingo Forum

Full Version: oil in expansion tank?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there guys i have a problem with my van i have oil in my expansion tank!!:brickwall:

now i had this a few months ago drained it all off and used K.seal it satyed away till now.

its a lot of oil too in there.the oil cap has no signs of head gasket foams ect.

the van does not over heat.
its starts and runs ok

its a non turbo model 1.9d it has never pulled well i may add since ive had it.

can anyone shed a light on what it could be i read it could be the oil cooler?

many thanks.
It can come from internal corrosion in the oil cooler; this was more common in the era of cast alloy oil coolers, also a source of mingling is the head gasket where it has an oilway near the cooling pasages.

Oil is up to four times the pressure of water in your block; it's far easier for the oil to "squeeze" into a water gallery past a dying gasket than vice-versa. This is why K-seal (etc) are not such reliable fixes; they're on the wrong side of the hole.
ok what would you suggest is the best thing for me to do this is my work horse and i rely on it.

how long would it last been driven like this?will it just pack up before long?

thanks again for the reply.
i need to get rid of this van i think things going all over are the relay vans anygood?
(20-03-2013, 11:01 AM)addo Wrote: [ -> ]It can come from internal corrosion in the oil cooler; this was more common in the era of cast alloy oil coolers, also a source of mingling is the head gasket where it has an oilway near the cooling pasages.

Oil is up to four times the pressure of water in your block; it's far easier for the oil to "squeeze" into a water gallery past a dying gasket than vice-versa. This is why K-seal (etc) are not such reliable fixes; they're on the wrong side of the hole.

I totally agree about your diagnosis,there's nothing worse than being on the wrong side of the hole.:drool::whistle:
Too high, too low, too late! Two bob...