Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Brake lights ON all the time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I'm not having much luck fixing this myself so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone's had the same problem. I searched the forum but whilst I found a LOT of threads about lights NOT working I found none where they were working all the time.

So far I have checked the light clusters and the accessable parts of the loom (to see there wasn't a short between a random 12v wire and the brake light feed wire) and I have removed and tested the brake light switch. Neither made any difference.

So I am now looking at the Haynes wiring diagram which shows the only thing I can't test is the "built-in system interface" but I have no idea what that is or how to test it. When I turn on the ignition I do hear a series of beeps, is that an error code? or is it a case that I have to hook it up to an error reader?

Regards Nate
So the brake lights remain on if the brake light switch is disconnected?
I would try a BSI re-set. to do this follow the link below and scroll to the bottom:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?co...ol_failure
(18-07-2013, 05:39 PM)OlJeffers Wrote: [ -> ]So the brake lights remain on if the brake light switch is disconnected?
I would try a BSI re-set. to do this follow the link below and scroll to the bottom:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?co...ol_failure

Man that reset procedure sounds insane, is this pretty normal on cars nowadays?

Either way i'll give it a go. Much appreciated thanks.
It all went pear shaped when steam went out of fashion.Confusedillyme::whistle:
(20-07-2013, 09:35 AM)Notts Wrote: [ -> ]Man that reset procedure sounds insane, is this pretty normal on cars nowadays?

Either way i'll give it a go. Much appreciated thanks.

On some of the older models you had to sacrifice a virgin to be in with a chance of anything working after a battery disconnect that's why so many are running round with no functioning dash due to the shortage of virgins. We tried negotiating with Citroen to get it downgraded to a first born or even a valuable goat but no, it has to be a virgin :brickwall: I'd try to find out where the power is coming from to the lights if they work with the switch disconnected.
Try finding a virgin around these parts !
Sorry,my fault.:lol::whistle:
My, you get about a bit!
Notts, I have had this problem once. Ironically when it was in for it's MOT.

It turned out one of the brake light bulbs was the wrong type causing the short.

Have you changed them to check it's not a problem with one of the bulbs??
Did the brake lights stay on with the pedal sw. disconnected?
Do the lights go out when the key is out of the ignition?
Don't worry about the BSI being faulty as the circuit goes through this only for monitoring with a lexia unit.:thumbsup: