Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Tow bar success?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I became interested in the Forum because I needed to fit a tow bar to my newly acquired 52-plated M59. I had already pre-wired the electrics to a connector block, behind the LH rear trim panel, using the permanent live feed to the rear wiper motor to power the by-pass relay and trailer indicators. I ordered a Titan tow-bar (£63.40), from PF Jones, during Tuesday lunch time; it arrived Thursday complete with ball, cover and 12N electrics (socket, fixing plate, cable & buzzer). I reversed the vehicle onto some bricks and, lying on a bit of old hardboard, was able to fit the bar reasonably easily (only banging my head once, which is pretty good for me). The 7-core went up through a convenient grommet below the back of the lamp cluster and connected to my block. The buzzer was inserted in the block wiring and, hey-presto, I probably saved myself couple of hundred quid.
Now what shall I tow?
[attachment=1236]
Very tidy, ours already had the towbar fitted and it tows our Combi Camp trailer tent nicely. Only thing I would like to do is quieten the indicator buzzer down a bit, it's very loud.
(04-08-2013, 05:22 PM)veebee Wrote: [ -> ]I became interested in the Forum because I needed to fit a tow bar to my newly acquired 52-plated M59. I had already pre-wired the electrics to a connector block, behind the LH rear trim panel, using the permanent live feed to the rear wiper motor to power the by-pass relay and trailer indicators. I ordered a Titan tow-bar (£63.40), from PF Jones, during Tuesday lunch time; it arrived Thursday complete with ball, cover and 12N electrics (socket, fixing plate, cable & buzzer). I reversed the vehicle onto some bricks and, lying on a bit of old hardboard, was able to fit the bar reasonably easily (only banging my head once, which is pretty good for me). The 7-core went up through a convenient grommet below the back of the lamp cluster and connected to my block. The buzzer was inserted in the block wiring and, hey-presto, I probably saved myself couple of hundred quid.
Now what shall I tow?

Which tow bar was it?  They don't show one labelled Titan and i'd like to use the same if you've found one that works well.
Used PF Jones for my last 5 towbars and wiring kits.
Never had a problem with them.  Excellent value.
Malcolm.
(08-03-2016, 01:50 PM)malgpz900 Wrote: [ -> ]Used PF Jones for my last 5 towbars and wiring kits.
Malcolm.
So just one of the listed four and using their universal electrics kit that comes with it?  Where the instructions good?
(08-03-2016, 03:16 PM)jonititan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2016, 01:50 PM)malgpz900 Wrote: [ -> ]Used PF Jones for my last 5 towbars and wiring kits.
Malcolm.
So just one of the listed four and using their universal electrics kit that comes with it?  Where the instructions good?
Hardest part of wiring is getting the supply from the existing wiring looms. Back of light clusters with multimeter soon sorts it.
Malcolm.
(08-03-2016, 03:50 PM)malgpz900 Wrote: [ -> ]
Malcolm.
Hardest part of wiring is getting the supply from the existing wiring looms.  Back of light clusters with multimeter soon sorts it.
Malcolm.

Thanks sounds good.  I might give it a try in a month or so.  My car is a 2004 1.9D so probably very similar to yours.  It has "forte" on the side but i don't know if that means anything.
(09-03-2016, 05:26 PM)jonititan Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-03-2016, 03:50 PM)malgpz900 Wrote: [ -> ]
Malcolm.
Hardest part of wiring is getting the supply from the existing wiring looms.  Back of light clusters with multimeter soon sorts it.
Malcolm.

Thanks sounds good.  I might give it a try in a month or so.  My car is a 2004 1.9D so probably very similar to yours.  It has "forte" on the side but i don't know if that means anything.

Yeah mine is the forte model as well. As long as you don't have bulb failure warning on yours you should be OK.
Malcolm.