Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Sodden carpet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After some a big storm tonight the drivers carpet was soaked & the water would appear to be coming from somewhere above where the BSI is located. As I've just spent a small fortune getting the previous BSI unit replaced I'm not keen to do it again. I cleared the scuttle out of scrud & also the inner wings so the run off points should be ok? Could it be the windscreen not being watertight/bonded correctly, I did have a new screen fitted last year?
Check the roof aerial isn't leaking.
(03-10-2013, 09:41 PM)steve valentine Wrote: [ -> ]Check the roof aerial isn't leaking.

Would that leak down onto the BSI unit location though?
Not being familiar with the BSI location ( thank goodness ! ) I can only suggest that you provide some sort of rain cover for it just in case of water ingress. A water diverting cover would work but as there is no heat output from a BSI perhaps you could encapsulate it to prevent water ingress with some sort of potting compound - I did this with a " Megajolt " installation in my old Land Rover and it worked really well in deep wading situations. I cannot remember the exact product but will look it up for you.
Is there anyway of 'rodding' the drain off points from underneath the windscreen scuttle?
Have a look at this thread.

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...wet+carpet

You seem to be able to do two things. One is to put a plastic cover over the BSI which will re-direct any moisture.
The second is to remove the scuttle cover and look for the piece of foam down in there and supplement it with
a sheet of heavy polythene to direct water to the outside of the bulkhead.
Water can get to the BSI from the aerial as it'll find it's way to the driver's door pillar and run down.
(04-10-2013, 12:37 PM)OlJeffers Wrote: [ -> ]Have a look at this thread.

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...wet+carpet

You seem to be able to do two things. One is to put a plastic cover over the BSI which will re-direct any moisture.
The second is to remove the scuttle cover and look for the piece of foam down in there and supplement it with
a sheet of heavy polythene to direct water to the outside of the bulkhead.
Water can get to the BSI from the aerial as it'll find it's way to the driver's door pillar and run down.

There doesn't appear to be any foam under the scuttle,where should it be & don't suppose you have any pics of supplemented polythene?
the plenium cover comes loose and/or dislodges and allows water to drip in, especially if the car is parked facing uphill with a strong rain laden headwind....the MK2 blingo is famous for it along with snapping springs...you need to make n fit a new larger vent cover. Remove your wiper arms, you will need a small 2/3/4 legged puller to do so,then remove the plastic plenium grill, remove the foam guard underneath, and replace it with a new larger cover, I used thick clear plastic sheeting, cut it to shape, allow room for the wiper arms to move, mastik it into place with a good sealant...take your time, allow 2 hours to complete and make sure there s a dry forecast. Whatever you do...do not attempt to remove the wiper arms without using a puller, they are very easily damaged
(04-10-2013, 08:16 PM)Barkas Wrote: [ -> ]the plenium cover comes loose and/or dislodges and allows water to drip in, especially if the car is parked facing uphill with a strong rain laden headwind....the MK2 blingo is famous for it along with snapping springs...you need to make n fit a new larger vent cover. Remove your wiper arms, you will need a small 2/3/4 legged puller to do so,then remove the plastic plenium grill, remove the foam guard underneath, and replace it with a new larger cover, I used thick clear plastic sheeting, cut it to shape, allow room for the wiper arms to move, mastik it into place with a good sealant...take your time, allow 2 hours to complete and make sure there s a dry forecast. Whatever you do...do not attempt to remove the wiper arms without using a puller, they are very easily damaged
Any pictures you can supply would be great?
Mine came off ok without a puller.
If tight and no puller try slackening the securing nut and running the wipers whilst like this and often they come adrift.
When putting back use copaslip antiseize to help removal in future.
Pages: 1 2 3