Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Reversing light switch help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi can anyone help me with my reversing light switch?

I have found the switch to be faulty and have purchased the correct replacement part. only problem is it looks impossible to replace!

The Haynes manual tells you to unscrew it like it easy except thats from a position with the transmission off the engine and the clutch release arm disconnected (the release arm is the reason i cant get at it with a 22mm long socket)

does anyone know of a way of doing this without taking the whole engine apart? its a 2001 1.9d dw9 (i think) with the BE3/5 transmission.

If not it will have to go to the shop as i dont have the time/equipment or experience to tackle this. Any idea on cost?

Thanks
Ricky
I wouldn't bother unless you reverse a lot in the dark, it's not a requirement to have a reversing light for the MOT test in UK.
(05-12-2013, 07:54 PM)ffrenchie Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't bother unless you reverse a lot in the dark, it's not a requirement to have a reversing light for the MOT test in UK.

Interesting i just assumed it was a fail. well that takes the pressure of a little, would still like to get it sorted if anyone has any tips.
Thanks
Back in the 60's and 70's we used to fit a bloomin' great foglight on the back of the car
to achieve the 'rally' look.Then the law changed and the maximum wattage for any rear mounted
light used as a reversing light was, I think, 26 watts. Now we have very bright LED units I think
one or two of those on the rear would make a nice reversing lamp. To avoid the hassle of replacing
the existing switch, if you are sure it's the culprit and not the wiring, I would use a separate dash
mounted switch straight from the battery with an in-line fuse.
If you do that, make sure you have some sort of indicator. I had a similar arrangement on a LHD Renault 12 and got pulled over by the constabulary for having my reversing lights on.
Renault 12? They were a v good car,with the 18,last of the good Renaults.In my opinion.
It had the Renault equivalent of the A series engine in it, same as my Renault 10 that was my previous car. It was quite roomy and comfortable although when I blew the head gasket it warped the head and it never ran right afterwards.

Actually that was my father's fault, he told me he'd checked the water, which he had, just neglected to tell me that he hadn't topped it up.