Berlingo Forum

Full Version: Hello
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just joined here today my friend has a 2005 berlingo van which has just been in and had new wheel cylinders and brake shoes on the back, when she got it back it was grinding like mad,
since then it has been back in to the garage that did this and come back even worse grinding and really poor brakes pedal going right down nearly to the floor (i'm guessing the self adjusters have been wound right in and are not adjusting ) and terrible grinding noise
any imput would be much appreciated cheers
Hi and welcome. Could be a number of things here! Air in brake system, shoes too tight on drums and handbrake not re adjusted... Needs to go back I think.. very poor work!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
(19-03-2014, 07:04 PM)adam3rdcanvey Wrote: [ -> ]Hi and welcome. Could be a number of things here! Air in brake system, shoes too tight on drums and handbrake not re adjusted... Needs to go back I think.. very poor work!

yes i thought that as well they charged over two hundred quid to replace two cylinders and brake shoes ........... she says the grinding gets worse when going around corners but from what i can see the rear wheel hubs have sealed for life bearing in them and don't need to come off when taking the drums off ..... just downloaded two guides off here one was for shoe replacment and other was for adjusting handbrake .......... i noticed the self adjusters need winding out to open the shoes out a specified amount before re fitting drums
i'm guessing the guy has wound them all the way in
but this still does not explain the grinding
i normally don't like fixing other peoples errors as i can't be sure if they have fitted the correct parts
but this is the second time the van has been in to this garage and she has lost all faith in them
its a 1.9d 2005 van
It needs to go back with a mention of Trading Standards ringing in their ears.This is not acceptable & need sorting.There is nothing to stop you removing the drums for a peek.Confusedalut:
Hello ianmac welcome to the forum Dangerous me think's take it back tell them there is something seriously wrong with the brake's since they put the new shoe's in :justno:
Thanks for the replies guys
turns out she took the van back the other day and all the muppet has done is tighten the handbrake cable to compensate for (i'm guessing non functioning self adjusters )........... i will take it to bits tomorrow and see whats what, what i can't understand though is what is grinding i'll report back my findings tomorrow
Best of luck!

I would take it to another garage, get them to tell you what's wrong , then take it back , tell them what they have done wrong , complain , tell them to sort it as a priority and demand compensation for shoddy work.

Oh and never use that garage again and tell everybody why.