Berlingo Forum
Dual mass Flywheel? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Dual mass Flywheel? (/thread-11981.html)

Pages: 1 2

Dual mass Flywheel? - terryd999 - 06-07-2015

Evening All. 

Whilst collecting service parts, filters etc i asked about a price for a three part clutch kit and shaft seal etc as clutch is a bit suspect and the very helpful man said my 06 1.6hdi has a dual mass fly wheel and this should be changed as well,
Anyone any feelings or recomendations on this, the fly wheel was £200+
Is it possible / cheaper to convert it to a solid one  and what difference would it make (they don't fit em for fun do they?)

All help gratefully received.

Terry

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - polar - 07-07-2015

Hi Terry,

You are right they don't fit them for fun they are there for a reason - to reduce the shock loading on the transmission. For this reason its not good to fit a conversion with a solid fly wheel even if they are made.

Citroens tend to not be heavy on DMF's like Ford and Vauxhall but it is still best to replace it when the clutch needs changing. Its a bit of a no brainer when the gearbox is out.

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - daywalker072 - 07-07-2015

funny my 2013 outdoor 1.6hdi is without duall mass ......... just saying.

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - polar - 07-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 04:22 PM)daywalker072 Wrote:  funny my 2013 outdoor 1.6hdi is without duall mass ......... just saying.

Did not know they had gone back to a solid flywheel seems very odd - have you had the gearbox out of your 13 daywalker?

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - JohnM - 07-07-2015

When Ford put their Transit engines into Land Rovers they did without the duel mass flywheel, because there wasn't enough room for one. Ford recommended a solid flywheel on the larger Transit Vans if they are used for heavy towing. There are loads of solid flywheel kits about for all sorts of cars including the 1.6hdi. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/201226908629?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
I fitted a solid flywheel kit to my 1.8tdci Ford Focus years ago and have had no problems, engine vibration may be slightly more intrusive, but it is hard to tell. It has come to something when flywheels have become consumables! If your duel mass flywheel looks OK I would just chuck a clutch kit in, if you are unsure a solid flywheel has got to be the way to go.

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - Lighty - 10-07-2015

Personally I would NOT convert a car from a dual mass to a solid kit. Manufacturers spend lots of time developing these systems for a reason . Most conversions I have experienced are rough & prone to judder, they can damage the engine & adversely affect economy as well .

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - ron - 10-07-2015

(10-07-2015, 06:11 AM)Lighty Wrote:  Personally I would NOT convert a car from a dual mass to a solid kit. Manufacturers spend lots of time developing these systems for a reason . Most conversions I have experienced are rough & prone to judder, they can damage the engine & adversely affect economy as well .

Thanks for that but would having a DMF put you off buying the vehicle concerned.
The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of buying a 1.6HDi 90 VTr new & would value your thoughts.
I haven't asked yet if it has one so the question may be rhetorical.
Ta.

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - CourierJim - 10-07-2015

I was told by the parts dept at a Citroen Dealers that only the despatch and upwards have a DMF, the Berlingo does not. I stand to be corrected of course lol!

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - ron - 10-07-2015

(10-07-2015, 08:12 PM)CourierJim Wrote:  I was told by the parts dept at a Citroen Dealers that only the despatch and upwards have a DMF, the Berlingo does not. I stand to be corrected of course lol!

Ta Jimbo Big Grin

RE: Dual mass Flywheel? - daywalker072 - 12-07-2015

(07-07-2015, 05:37 PM)polar Wrote:  
(07-07-2015, 04:22 PM)daywalker072 Wrote:  funny my 2013 outdoor 1.6hdi is without duall mass ......... just saying.

Did not know they had gone back to a solid flywheel seems very odd - have you had the gearbox out of your 13 daywalker?

my garage had it out bad clutch at 30.000 km so under warranty to my surprise no duall mass and my vin says solid fly to on service box.
what i was saying between the lines is that you can retrofit to solid mass.
mine 13 is a outdoor version.