Berlingo Forum
Too Much Wood?? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Too Much Wood?? (/thread-12288.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Too Much Wood?? - Hughzie - 01-09-2015

Has anyone managed to get a full sheet of 8'x4' Plywood in the back of a multispace?

Having had a large amount of 2.4 meter timber in im thinking it may be possible, Just impractical given you wouldn't be able to see to your left while driving.

Has anyone ever attempted such a feat or would I be better just paying to have it cut or just delivered?

RE: Too Much Wood?? - Jed Clampit - 01-09-2015

Hughzie Why would you want to put it on the inside when you have a roof rack and if your going to cut it when you get home why not get them to cut it for free  Smile

RE: Too Much Wood?? - Hughzie - 01-09-2015

Roof rack! Might scratch the paint trying to get them up there! (Im only 5'7'') Plus I never went to boy scouts so my knot tying is limited to a scarf knot and I wouldn't trust it.

I have no Idea on measurements yet, Im the type of person that just makes it up as you go. Lay the sheet down, Stare at it, Put the kettle on, Stare at it some more, Check the usual internet haunts, Stare at it some more then get the tools out and go from there!
I've made loads of things like that. Just built some new garden furniture but the weathers been too s**t to finish the second bench. Built a second deck for the BBQ to stand on at the beginning of the year (First job so the new Berlingo), Also just made a second rack for the shop I work for.

Next project Im thinking of sorting the dumping ground that most folk call a Garage. Im thinking of building some units to replace the shelving which will give a bit more work space.
Still not sure if I want to do the entire garage or just front 2/3 due the the boiler being located at the back and If I box it in you know what will be next on the replace list.

Either way its looking like my long term winter project.

RE: Too Much Wood?? - ffrenchie - 02-09-2015

It wouldn't fit in the back of my Mk2. Get some bungee or ratchet straps and get it on the roof or get it delivered.

RE: Too Much Wood?? - bikergraham - 02-09-2015

I use my 02 multispace for my business as a small builder and have purchased a roof rack made by Rhino bars.Ive had it on my vehicle for 5 years and believe me my roof rack is really used.It easily carries 6 x 2400 x 1200 12.5mm plasterboards which are i think 24kg each.[ when its not raining ] If my memory serves me correctly the rack was somewhere in the region of £100 ish.Such a bargin for what it does.The only drawerback is of course wind noise,but its a price worth paying.
By the way an 8 x 4 sheet will NOT fit inside so dont try you will damage your car.Take care.

(01-09-2015, 10:53 PM)Hughzie Wrote:  Roof rack! Might scratch the paint trying to get them up there! (Im only 5'7'') Plus I never went to boy scouts so my knot tying is limited to a scarf knot and I wouldn't trust it.

I have no Idea on measurements yet, Im the type of person that just makes it up as you go. Lay the sheet down, Stare at it, Put the kettle on, Stare at it some more, Check the usual internet haunts, Stare at it some more then get the tools out and go from there!
I've made loads of things like that. Just built some new garden furniture but the weathers been too s**t to finish the second bench. Built a second deck for the BBQ to stand on at the beginning of the year (First job so the new Berlingo), Also just made a second rack for the shop I work for.

Next project Im thinking of sorting the dumping ground that most folk call a Garage. Im thinking of building some units to replace the shelving which will give a bit more work space.
Still not sure if I want to do the entire garage or just front 2/3 due the the boiler being located at the back and If I box it in you know what will be next on the replace list.

Either way its looking like my long term winter project.
Just a thought please be a little careful if you are thinking about boxing in a gas boiler check the handbook and gas regulations,as a gas safe registered engineer i can tell you that it has the potential for problems. Be safe. Angel

RE: Too Much Wood?? - Col - 02-09-2015

Anything that restricts your vision is a big No-No.
Surprised BikerGraham didn't mention that. Bikers have enough problems with people not seeing us without having a great big sheet of ply preventing you seeing out of the side window.

RE: Too Much Wood?? - Hughzie - 02-09-2015

Doofer: Its a new one 14 plate

ffrenchie: Already got a roof rack from my last car but haven't bothered buying the brackets yet to attach it to the roof rail system on the Berlingo yet. I think they are around £80 for just the brackets so have been having an occasional look on FleaBay to see If I can get some used ones but nothing has surfaced yet.

bikergraham: Not planning on boxing the boiler in as it breaks down enough already! Bloody thing was only 2 weeks old when it first stopped and the manufacturer said its a know fault that we just wait till it occurs before fitting the redesigned part. Tight buggers are trying to save a bit of money more like.
Touch wood its been good recently so will not be interfering with it. Issue with putting cabinates in would be all the piping is laid out like a college student's practical, nice in near but takes up a load of space.

Col: I'd wouldn't drive like than in all seriousness, If you can't see Left or Right then its a major No No.

Thinking Ill have to hit the pen a paper and see if I can come up with a design and draw up a cutting list.

(02-09-2015, 04:22 PM)Col Wrote:  Anything that restricts your vision is a big No-No.
Surprised BikerGraham didn't mention that. Bikers have enough problems with people not seeing us without having a great big sheet of ply preventing you seeing out of the side window.

Idea Thats true Col.Down here in Devon drivers dont have to have bits of wood in front of them,they are  blind enough as it is being most people are old duffers or boy racers that just dont give a monkeys cuss anyway.!!

RE: Too Much Wood?? - Jed Clampit - 02-09-2015

Who are you calling old duffer's that's about 70/80% of us Big Grin
Hughzie why don't put some rag's around the roof bar's use ratchet strap's i'm sure they will give you a hand to get it on the roof and some one in your street will help you get it off they don't all hate you  Wink