Berlingo Forum
[Engine] 55 plate DW8 engined cold starting problems - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: [Engine] 55 plate DW8 engined cold starting problems (/thread-2174.html)

55 plate DW8 engined cold starting problems - Rusty1972 - 25-01-2012

Hi all,

I had the van MOT'd yesterday and it sailed through as it does every year. I collected it form the test station and drove it to work (1 mile) and parked it up for the day. Last night i jumped in it to go home and it just cranked and cranked and eventually fired up chucking out a load of excess deisel smoke. Idle was lumpy for a minute but it then cleared itself and started at the flick of the key when warm or hot.

I did a search on the forum and elected to change the glow plugs, left it overnight and have no improvement. I tried pumping the primer to see if there was air in the fuel but it doesnt look like that is the case.

I did some further searchs and also came across glow plug relay issues but on the Mk 1 van so wonder if this is common to the Mk 2 as well?

I also noticed this morning that there is a small vaccuum type hose that runs from a diaphram underneath the throttle body to another type of accumulation/ switch behind the battery which has one end broken off!! Can anyone tell me without pictures what the two parts are that this hose connects, and whether this would cause the symptoms i am experiencing?

Just a point yto note is that the van has always started first time every time until the MOT!

Thanks in advance

Rusty

RE: 55 plate DW8 engined cold starting problems - Coco - 25-01-2012

Difficult to tell without seeing it, but, it sounds from the symptoms you describe and the pipe that it could be the EGR actuator.

If you can put some pictures up, that would be great,
or, can you identify it from here?

RE: 55 plate DW8 engined cold starting problems - Rusty1972 - 25-01-2012

Coco, Firstly thanks for the quick reply, secondly thanks for the excellent diagram/ schematic.
Looking at the attached diagram i would say it is hose number 2, and it has broken of at the connection point on item 7 and also at the connection point on item 14 although it looks slightly different in the engine bay. I'll try and get some pictures uploaded in a while.

Regards

Rusty

If that's the case, then it IS the EGR circuit.

Can't help too much beyond that. Mine is the 2.0HDi and I can do without it, but the 1.6HDi needs it connected. For simplicity sake and until someone with better knowledge of your engine comes along, I'd say order the new parts and in the meantime cobble it tohether as best you can to help with smooth running.

0000595306 VACM UNIT UNION 20.94 GBP 25.13 GBP 25.13 GBP

00001628LQ ELECTRO VALVE 36.89 GBP 44.27 GBP 44.27 GBP

00001628PA CONTROL-UNIT 114.60 GBP 137.52 GBP 137.52 GBP

These are the part numbers and list prices - might be best if you can repair it then !!!

(25-01-2012, 11:52 AM)Coco Wrote:  If that's the case, then it IS the EGR circuit.

Can't help too much beyond that. Mine is the 2.0HDi and I can do without it, but the 1.6HDi needs it connected. For simplicity sake and until someone with better knowledge of your engine comes along, I'd say order the new parts and in the meantime cobble it tohether as best you can to help with smooth running.

0000595306 VACM UNIT UNION 20.94 GBP 25.13 GBP 25.13 GBP

00001628LQ ELECTRO VALVE 36.89 GBP 44.27 GBP 44.27 GBP

00001628PA CONTROL-UNIT 114.60 GBP 137.52 GBP 137.52 GBP

These are the part numbers and list prices - might be best if you can repair it then !!!

Coco,

Thanks for the part numbers. Would it be possible for you to identify the part numbers on the diagram you posted earlier, or do you have any other diagrams which show these parts in detail?

Thanks in advance

All,
just to add a bit more information.............i left the van for 6 hours today and put a jumper wire from battery to terminal for heater plugs for 20 seconds and she fired straight up so i guess i'm looking at a problem with glow plug relay?? Any ideas where i can find the offendingn relay to check it out?

Thanks in advance

2 is the vacuum unit union - the pipes

7 is the electrovalve

14 is the control unit

Then look here:-
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=1875&highlight=glow+plug+relay

RE: 55 plate DW8 engined cold starting problems - Joe - 19-02-2012

hi i am new to the forum i have a similar problem on my 2004 1.9 DW8, like you I changed the glow plugs ( found 1 faulty) but still had staring probs the next morning... as soon as its started its fine it fires right away

i suspect the lift / pump in tank as it seems like a priming problem