Berlingo Forum
yes another oil thread - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: yes another oil thread (/thread-2551.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

yes another oil thread - corkgsxr - 21-03-2012

Used 10w 40 last Time, (1.6 hdi van) prob wasn't a low sap oil, but good quality oil (castrol)

This time gonna get castrol edge or magnatech, but was thinking would 5w 30 be better for the turbo as my van never seems to heat quickly or much at all.

Maybe more economic too, on the theory of lower viscosity might lower running/frictional losses.

Fair thought or am I a dope

RE: yes another oil thread - Ol'Jeffers - 22-03-2012

None of those are suitable and you will almost certainly get problems in the future. The correct oil is ESSENTIAL in the 1.6 Turbo Diesel.
The standard oil feed to the turbo is too small and the strainer beneath it gets clogged with sludge and it's bye-bye turbo! The new turbo kit
has a larger feed pipe, I believe and this is said to reduce the risk of further premature turbo failure. I think there's someone here on their third turbo!!
Halfords do a suitable oil:
Halfords 5W/30 Peugeot / Citroen Fully Synthetic Motor Oil 5 Litres meets the requirements of Peugeot & Citroen PSA B71 2290 and is
formulated to the same protection & performance standards as leading brands. But it's bloomin' dear! (and it's made by Comma, see below!)
You can buy the correct recommended oil from Neilsens, I get mine from them...It's what Citroen recommends and they sell it much cheaper
that you can get it from most places in the UK.
http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/Total_Quartz_Ineo_ECS_5W30_Engine_Oil_5_Litre.html#aTOT_2d151261
They deliver to your door and they're very reliable.
Cheaper??
Comma Pro-Tech 5w30 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil meets the PAS spec. and can be bought at many factors and from eBay for £30.00 inc del.
Carlube Triple R 5w30 Longlife Fully Synthetic C2 is around the same price as Comma but prices vary more between outlets.
That should do you for a bit......

You would also be strongly recommended to change the oil and filter at 9,000 mile intervals instead of the recommended 12,000 miles.

At the moment (July 11th.) Neilsen are still the cheapest at under £26 delivered.

RE: yes another oil thread - corkgsxr - 22-03-2012

I do changes at 15k kms, iv looked and castrol magnatech is on the approved list

RE: yes another oil thread - j90xxx - 22-03-2012

Couldn't agree with Ol'Jeffers more.
It is ESSENTIAL to use the correct oil on a1.6 HDi.
A new turbo is £800+.
I worked in the oil industry a few years ago manufacturing oil for race engines, so know how important lubrication is especially in modern engines.
This is the oil I used 2 weeks ago for my oil change (I know a guy at Unipart, so got this at 'mates rates'.)
http://www.unipartautomotive.co.uk/Lubricants-Fluids/Engine-Oils/Citroen-Berlingo-1.6-2007/Parts.aspx?SubGroup=LU~Lubricants+and+Fluids~LUBO-LU~Engine+Oils
The PRO S 1700, not the top one.
They use this oil in their Berlingo parts vans, never suffered turbo problems.:thumbsup:

(22-03-2012, 09:21 AM)corkgsxr Wrote:  I do changes at 15k kms, iv looked and castrol magnatech is on the approved list
There are many different Castrol Magnatec Oils.
The only one that conforms to the PSA spec is Magnatec 5W-30 C2
which is sold in 4 litre containers and is generally around the same price the rest of the big brand oils.
Might as well get the oil that's recommended and then if anything goes wrong at least you done your part
and haven't induced any problems yourself. Just my opinion.

RE: yes another oil thread - Opensauce - 22-03-2012

Total Quartz 9000 5w40 fully synthetic is the Citroen spec.

Over the last several months I have telephoned four Citroen dealers and a Citroen Approved repairer. Simply because I want to give my less than perfectly designed 1.6 turbo-diesel engine the best chance of surviving.
Quartz 9000 5w-40 was the recommended oil two years ago and now they all use Quartz Ineo ECS 5w-30 which is specifically designed around the 1.6 turbo-diesel with a DPF (FAP) /Catalytic converter.
The Quartz 9000 oil, two years ago, was the only oil that Cit/Pug recommended because Ineo ECS wasn't then made.
It doesn't carry the same specification being PAS B71 2296 rather than PAS B71 2290.
The main reason for turbo failure, EGR valve problems and FAP failure is the use of the wrong oil, simple as that. I don't want to go down that road if at all possible. So please bear with me if I sound pedantic. I've done hours of research for my own benefit and I'm merely passing on the fruits of that research.
Of course, this is just my opinion based on my findings. If my opinions are unwelcome here then I'm clearly in the wrong place and will no longer post them.
[attachment=501]

RE: yes another oil thread - corkgsxr - 22-03-2012

(22-03-2012, 12:41 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  
(22-03-2012, 09:21 AM)corkgsxr Wrote:  I do changes at 15k kms, iv looked and castrol magnatech is on the approved list
There are many different Castrol Magnatec Oils.
The only one that conforms to the PSA spec is Magnatec 5W-30 C2
which is sold in 4 litre containers and is generally around the same price the rest of the big brand oils.
Might as well get the oil that's recommended and then if anything goes wrong at least you done your part
and haven't induced any problems yourself. Just my opinion.

I know there's different versions, I'll get the correct one but it'll be castrol for me, iv great trust in there oils, my gsxr 600 made a extra 11.18 bhp just by changing from silcoline to castrol

RE: yes another oil thread - Northman - 22-03-2012

(22-03-2012, 01:52 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  So please bear with me if I sound pedantic.

Only fools deride pedantry*. Stick with it, OJ.

*Especially if it is anything Berlingo-related!
Big Grin

RE: yes another oil thread - rich - 14-06-2012

Hi
I'm interested in this thread as my turbo has blow and citroen want £1800 to fit a re con! The thing is, I have a receipt from 2008 and they used castrol 10w-40 which i think was the wrong oil for a 1600 hdi
Rich