Berlingo Forum
Brake pedal travel?? - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Brake pedal travel?? (/thread-3297.html)

Brake pedal travel?? - Squadron Leader - 25-07-2012

Hi everyone.

I've got an '07 Peugeot Partner and my brake pedal seems to travel a long way before the pedal really bites.

I've had it looked at by my local trusted garage who adjusted the handbrake up a little which didn't really make any difference. They said that everything was normal and no fluid loss so it seems that this travel is normal. Does anyone else have this problem? if so is there a cure for it or do I just have to get used to it?

Thanks for looking.

Phil

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - Coco - 25-07-2012

Mine has, and always has had, a fair amount of travel compared to other cars. Never beeno commented on at MOT or service times either

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - BerlingoHDI - 25-07-2012

Mine is the same and as far as I know it is normal, I have recently changed fluid, discs and pads on mine and it is the same

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - ron - 25-07-2012

I agree with Coco & HDI,My 57 has been like that from new.

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - Tomcat3 - 25-07-2012

Hi all my 08 plate 1.6hdi van is like that I found it a bit dissconcerting to start with thinking the brakes wasnt going to bite but ive got used to them now.

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - Chris86 - 26-07-2012

Mine are the same, were a little bit like that at first then Evans Halshaw in Mansfield interfered with the rear brakes and they have a bit more travel again.

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - brodfather11 - 27-07-2012

(25-07-2012, 01:10 PM)Squadron Leader Wrote:  Hi everyone.

I've got an '07 Peugeot Partner and my brake pedal seems to travel a long way before the pedal really bites.

I've had it looked at by my local trusted garage who adjusted the handbrake up a little which didn't really make any difference. They said that everything was normal and no fluid loss so it seems that this travel is normal. Does anyone else have this problem? if so is there a cure for it or do I just have to get used to it?

Thanks for looking.

Phil

If the hand brake has a lot of movement it is the rear brake shoe adjustment which is seized. The lever in the rear drums which is moved by the h/brake cable is sticking on its pivot on the shoe. this prevents the rear brake adjusters from moving. This means the shoes are not always in contact with the drums and excess pedal movement is needed to make shoe to drum contact.
Remove the brake drums and check for to see if the lever sits in the curve of the shoe and moves freely. if the cable has been adjusted the then unadjust it.
Adjusting the cable will not help it without freeing the lever
[Image: 2edp7vp.jpg]

if there is a gap as shown in photo then the lever is seized. The lever should be almost touching the retaining spring.
[Image: 95wpia.jpg]

freed lever

[Image: 2uz49vk.jpg]

gap after freeing

Then adjust cable. (For a MK 1 berlingo/partner, not sure about 07 model)

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - ron - 27-07-2012

Very good Brodders,a picture(or 3) speak a thousand words.

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - Rustscrat - 28-07-2012

(27-07-2012, 08:13 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  
(25-07-2012, 01:10 PM)Squadron Leader Wrote:  Hi everyone.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

If the hand brake has a lot of movement it is the rear brake shoe adjustment which is seized. The lever in the rear drums which is moved by the h/brake cable is sticking on its pivot on the shoe. this prevents the rear brake adjusters from moving. This means the shoes are not always in contact with the drums and excess pedal movement is needed to make shoe to drum contact.
Remove the brake drums and check for to see if the lever sits in the curve of the shoe and moves freely. if the cable has been adjusted the then unadjust it.
Adjusting the cable will not help it without freeing the lever
[Image: 2edp7vp.jpg]

if there is a gap as shown in photo then the lever is seized. The lever should be almost touching the retaining spring.
[Image: 95wpia.jpg]

freed lever

[Image: 2uz49vk.jpg]

gap after freeing

Then adjust cable. (For a MK 1 berlingo/partner, not sure about 07 model)

Same for the MK2 as well.:thumbsup:

RE: Brake pedal travel?? - Squadron Leader - 30-07-2012

Thank you Brodders for posting up these very descriptive pictures. I will whip the drums off and take a decko at this and see what's occurring.

Cheers,

Phil