Berlingo Forum
Trailer buzzer - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: Trailer buzzer (/thread-3847.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trailer buzzer - evdama - 12-10-2012

I want a buzzer,fitted inside the vehicle, to sound when reversing -but only when the trailer is plugged in.
Ive got a spare piezo buzzer and the van is already fitted with a 7 way bypass relay and a euro13 socket
Any autoelectricians care to speculate?

RE: Trailer buzzer - Coco - 12-10-2012

Is going backwards different when you have a trailer attached ?

RE: Trailer buzzer - evdama - 12-10-2012

(12-10-2012, 07:05 PM)Coco Wrote:  Is going backwards different when you have a trailer attached ?

Very different -try it.

RE: Trailer buzzer - philip - 12-10-2012

Is it to remind you, you have a trailer behind you?

RE: Trailer buzzer - j90xxx - 12-10-2012

Difficult...
You would need to connect to trailer reversing lights.
If connected to reverse wire on trailer socket would work when reverse selected, ie. all the time, trailer connected or not.
Plus piezo buzzer would sound awful if reversing for, say, 30 seconds. Drive you nuts!
You need a proper reversing bleeeper for vans or trucks (in 12v), but they are illegal to use on a vehicle under 3.5 tonnes and have to be able to be switched off at night in residential areas (used to be between 11pm and 5am, but might have changed).

RE: Trailer buzzer - evdama - 12-10-2012

(12-10-2012, 08:29 PM)j90xxx Wrote:  Difficult...
You would need to connect to trailer reversing lights.
If connected to reverse wire on trailer socket would work when reverse selected, ie. all the time, trailer connected or not.
Plus piezo buzzer would sound awful if reversing for, say, 30 seconds. Drive you nuts!
You need a proper reversing bleeeper for vans or trucks (in 12v), but they are illegal to use on a vehicle under 3.5 tonnes and have to be able to be switched off at night in residential areas (used to be between 11pm and 5am, but might have changed).

So I need something cleverer-er .
Somehow connect one side of the buzzer downstream of the relay (and out of sight of the Blingos electrical system..) but only enable the return from the trailers ground wire.
I'm sure theres something in the 13pin socket specs around a 'telltale lamp' function- pehaps that could be used ,even just to activate a separate relay to work the buzzer.

RE: Trailer buzzer - prunty - 12-10-2012

Why do you want this buzzer, as I don't see how it would be useful??

After all your not going to forget you've a trailer on when you go to reverse...

RE: Trailer buzzer - philip - 12-10-2012

(12-10-2012, 10:43 PM)prunty Wrote:  Why do you want this buzzer, as I don't see how it would be useful??

After all your not going to forget you've a trailer on when you go to reverse...
I used to drive with with one and I have forgot its behind me!Confusedillyme:

RE: Trailer buzzer - evdama - 13-10-2012

Ive seen it happen too - the trailer towed so well the guy forgot it was there or just got distracted or something and swooshed up into his driveway like normal-the trailer jackknifed and crunched into the rear quarterpanel.
Dislodged,the fuel filler neck, pushed the inner arch out of line, and because it was a metallic, he had to have the whole car repainted.
Never say never....

Ive just had a thought (ahh,that was what that noise was....)

How about a towbar wiring indicator bleeper-the ones that you put on the indicator circiut that sound only when the trailer indicators are flashing?
Is this too simple? what have I overlooked?

RE: Trailer buzzer - brodfather11 - 13-10-2012

the trailer towed so well the guy forgot it was there or just got distracted or something and swooshed up into his driveway like normal-the trailer jackknifed and crunched into the rear quarterpanel.

ME TOO ! Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme:Confusedillyme: