Berlingo Forum
Starter Motor - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M49 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Starter Motor (/thread-4464.html)

Starter Motor - Ricbob123 - 02-01-2013

Having some intermittent problems with my starter motor. as soon as its dry and i get a chance ill have a look at all the connectors but for now can anyone tell me if it was the solenoid would i still hear the motor spinning?
the car bumb starts just fine btw.

my guess is its the brushes as when i turn the key i get nothing, no spinning sound from the motor and no cranking from the engine.

if it is the motor its looks like ill have to get a new one, right? cant find anywhere that does replacement brushes, anyone know better??

Thanks

RE: Starter Motor - Landmark - 02-01-2013

Hi RicBob,
With the headlights on try starting it. If there is no dimming of the lights then no power is getting to the starter motor. Make sure all connections are clean, including battery to body earth, and try again. It is possible to bench test the motor, if you can remove it, and this will cut out the vehicles wiring.
HTH,
Griff

RE: Starter Motor - Ricbob123 - 02-01-2013

(02-01-2013, 05:38 PM)Landmark Wrote:  Hi RicBob,
With the headlights on try starting it. If there is no dimming of the lights then no power is getting to the starter motor. Make sure all connections are clean, including battery to body earth, and try again. It is possible to bench test the motor, if you can remove it, and this will cut out the vehicles wiring.
HTH,
Griff

Thanks griff
With it been an intermittent problem i never know when its going to happen, but will try this if its dark the next time im having problems.
So the theory is if the lights dim then power is getting to the motor but if the engine doesnt crank then it will be the solenoid (or something related to it, wiring, fuse etc) correct?

RE: Starter Motor - evdama - 02-01-2013

Battery could be breaking down intermittently also

RE: Starter Motor - ffrenchie - 02-01-2013

Try tapping the solenoid and motor body with something, my old motor used to do it and once it had a little tap with the end of a piece of bar it worked for months before it did it again. I think it was scared it was going to get hit again.

RE: Starter Motor - tucker - 02-01-2013

Exactly what mine has done twice, intermittently you turn the key and it just clicks and has to be bump started.

Both times the starter needed replacing.

RE: Starter Motor - Landmark - 05-01-2013

(02-01-2013, 06:01 PM)Ricbob123 Wrote:  
(02-01-2013, 05:38 PM)Landmark Wrote:  Hi RicBob,
HTH,
Griff

Thanks griff
With it been an intermittent problem i never know when its going to happen, but will try this if its dark the next time im having problems.
So the theory is if the lights dim then power is getting to the motor but if the engine doesnt crank then it will be the solenoid (or something related to it, wiring, fuse etc) correct?
Yes, That's how I understand it too.
Griff

RE: Starter Motor - addo - 05-01-2013

Actually, if the solenoid is duff it may not even slightly pull in. The dimming could well be due to ageing battery leads or a dying cell in the battery.

For many starters and alternator parts, I've hadd decent results from Wood Auto - even with postage they are less hassle than Oz suppliers.